Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

best sport muffler

Hi Elfer enthusiasts:

I am looking to ad the finishing touches on my third Carrera -precisely an arctic silver 996 coupe.

Here the question: What is the best quality, best sounding (not too sick and no cabin resonances) sport muffler for my car. Has anyone had any experience.

And if you can tell me where to buy it at the best price - even better.

Thank you for any feedback.

Gregor

2000, 996

P2251242.JPG

Gergor you have PM

So what is the deal with the ppor man's PSE ? Is it a secret ? Can you tell us more ?

$70 at the muffler shop sounds like something I could try ;-) I had something similar done with a 993 and was pleased... Let me know !

Edited by deschodt

Gergor you have PM

So what is the deal with the ppor man's PSE ? Is it a secret ? Can you tell us more ?

$70 at the muffler shop sounds like something I could try ;-) I had something similar done with a 993 and was pleased... Let me know !

No secret at all...

About 3.6 MOD

Also if you do a search on rennlist type (3.6 mod) and you will find other threads about it.

The real PSE sound great but at $1500-2000 thats more money than I want to put into this car. They say it's about 80% wise to the Real PSE's

You must use the 3.6 liter mufflers and not the 3.4 mufflers.

Some poeple give away their 3.6 cans :clapping:

Check out the link "ABOUT 3.6 mod" or something, that evansaero supplied 2 or 3 posts above...

That will take you to another thread... Seems like our stock mufflers have a "casting" for the PSE already that is sealed shut. Makes sense porsche would reuse the molds

! You have a muffler shop open it up and weld a 2" bent pipe from there to the exhaust pipe, a bypass of sorts, or so it seems to me from the pictures on that thread.

I think the PSE is the same thing with the option to open/close it...

This is VERY tempting to do, as I already have 3.6 mufflers. Then again, maybe I should drive with my windows down first and make sure I want to do this. There would not be a kind soul with the mod in the Tampa Bay area, would there ? Too much to ask, but I'd like to hear it in person rather than on Utube (sounds good though)

This is VERY tempting to do, as I already have 3.6 mufflers. Then again, maybe I should drive with my windows down first and make sure I want to do this. There would not be a kind soul with the mod in the Tampa Bay area, would there ? Too much to ask, but I'd like to hear it in person rather than on Utube (sounds good though)

People have used 2" and some used 2.25". The 2.25 fits better.

It is said that if you open the cap and use the correct piping than it is the same as the Real PSE from Porsche. I would agree, the only problem was the muffler shop was not able to take off the cap. They cut it out and it came to be about a 1.5" opening. As some would say its very close to the Real PSE about 80% close.

I know want you mean about being to loud. Before I put them on I tried running with them off. "No muffler" Way to loud. Like ticket loud.

The stock setup is quite to me. To quite...

After I put the mod on I was very happy. As you I was a little concerned about it being to loud before I had put them on, being that if you listen to some of the other setups on utube ie Fabspeed , GHL,ect. Those are just not for me.

The 3.6 Mod sounds stock at idle and under normal driving it is close is stock. Maybe a little more throatier, not really louder. But the best part is when you floor it. Then you know... It sounds 10x better than stock.

If you are ever up my way, stop by and I'll show you how good it sounds. There is no performance gain but if it is sound your looking for than it's awsome.

Maybe you can find a free set of 3.6 cans (most rennlister will give them away) and have them moded. Then give your stock 3.6 away to the next person looking to mod or sell the moded muffler. WIN WIN

Anyways, IMO it is a great way to go if you don't want to spend over $1000 for new mufflers. I also believe it to be the 2nd best mod I have done to the car. B&M SSK is still the best mod to date.

Edited by evansaero

You may also find them in Ebay sometimes, all done and ready for mounting. From memory, I thought they listed for about $200 with a return of yours. Not sure how they performed, but therewas someone in the Forum who got them if you do a search.

The one benefit from most of the aftermarket mufflers is the lower weight (10-15 lbs) and lower back pressure (IMO). To some people the lower weight is important as they try to lighten the cars for running a quicker course. At 240 lbs I don't care that much, that is just a few meals.

I tried Fabspeeds and GHL. Settled for GHL and bought them pre-enjoyed from a renntech member. Much better price than new!

check this out, used, that come with tips too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GHL-PORSCHE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by izzyandsue

I've done the 3.6 mod and it was WELL worth it in my opinion. I've always wanted a nice sounding exahust but never wanted to shell out the cash, so this was really a perfect solution. I really enjoy the sound, not too loud, and very, very quiet at idle and low rpm's. Its perfect in my opinion. Only problem is that its getting harder to find the 3.6 liter cans as people are starting to realize there is a market for them thanks to the rennlist threads. I bought mine off craigslist for 175 and the seller had no clue about the mod. I had midas do the welding and they charged my 100.00. I used 2-inch pipe, and the hole was 1.5 inches. This mod has got to be on eof the best for the money.

I've done the 3.6 mod and it was WELL worth it in my opinion. I've always wanted a nice sounding exahust but never wanted to shell out the cash, so this was really a perfect solution. I really enjoy the sound, not too loud, and very, very quiet at idle and low rpm's. Its perfect in my opinion. Only problem is that its getting harder to find the 3.6 liter cans as people are starting to realize there is a market for them thanks to the rennlist threads. I bought mine off craigslist for 175 and the seller had no clue about the mod. I had midas do the welding and they charged my 100.00. I used 2-inch pipe, and the hole was 1.5 inches. This mod has got to be on eof the best for the money.

so you bought 3.6 cans and mod it, and put on your 3.4? i want to do the same, just want to know if there's any catch, or simple bolt on.

Hate to disagree with ScottArizona, but the tips and pipes on the exhaust side of the 3.6 cans won't work on a 99-01. Thre rear bumper was reconfigured and the tips are in a different location. I know this becuase I found a set of 3.6 PSE's on Ebay (about $500) and installed them on my 00 C4Cab. I used the old tailpipe sections from my 3.4 exhaust on the new cans, they work fine and fit perfectly. I sold my new tailpipe pieces to another member that had a 3.4 PSE he was putting on a newer car. So you can use the 3.6 cans, but will have to reuse the older tailpipe pieces on a 99-01 car.

Hate to disagree with ScottArizona, but the tips and pipes on the exhaust side of the 3.6 cans won't work on a 99-01. Thre rear bumper was reconfigured and the tips are in a different location. I know this becuase I found a set of 3.6 PSE's on Ebay (about $500) and installed them on my 00 C4Cab. I used the old tailpipe sections from my 3.4 exhaust on the new cans, they work fine and fit perfectly. I sold my new tailpipe pieces to another member that had a 3.4 PSE he was putting on a newer car. So you can use the 3.6 cans, but will have to reuse the older tailpipe pieces on a 99-01 car.

Not really sure what you mean?

Are you saying the tips are different?

The cans themselves are compatible/interchangable, but the pipes that bolt to the cans (on the output side) and extend to the rear bumper are different on 99-01 and 02+ as the bumpers changes and the position of the tips changed. Therefor, you have to use the tailpipe pieces from the arlier years on early years cars. If you look in PET they actually show different tailpipe pieces/part numbers for 00, 01, 02, 03 and 04. but the 99-01 have the same rar bumper/outlet position, starting in 01 the rear bumper was changed.

Also, now that I remembrer it, the support backets on the earlier cars (996.111.227.02-left and 996.111.228-02-right through 01 and 996-111-237.02-Left and 996.111.237.02-right for 02+) are also different, the bolt patterns is slightly different, so when I put the new PSE cans on I had to change the brackets that attached the cans to the carriers on the engine. The attachment to the cans is the same so the brackets can be interchanged.

The cans themselves are compatible/interchangable, but the pipes that bolt to the cans (on the output side) and extend to the rear bumper are different on 99-01 and 02+ as the bumpers changes and the position of the tips changed. Therefor, you have to use the tailpipe pieces from the arlier years on early years cars. If you look in PET they actually show different tailpipe pieces/part numbers for 00, 01, 02, 03 and 04. but the 99-01 have the same rar bumper/outlet position, starting in 01 the rear bumper was changed.

Also, now that I remembrer it, the support backets on the earlier cars (996.111.227.02-left and 996.111.228-02-right through 01 and 996-111-237.02-Left and 996.111.237.02-right for 02+) are also different, the bolt patterns is slightly different, so when I put the new PSE cans on I had to change the brackets that attached the cans to the carriers on the engine. The attachment to the cans is the same so the brackets can be interchanged.

I thought that was what you were talking about. I just don't call them pipes. Sorry

You are right about the brackets

Really all you have to do is put your old tips on and change out the brackets and bolt it on. So really there is no catch at all :D