Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Super glue ABS - works for broken red ball joints?

After having broken a red ball joint myself, and come to the realisation that the only reason Porsche is poised to take over VW is people like me paying $100AUD every time for what is essentially a $5 plastic part, I did some research.

I found that super glue - i.e ethyl hybrid cyanoacrylate, seem to have tensile strength stronger than many substrates, ABS plastic included.

An excerpt follows:

(Tensile shear strength, cured for 48 hours @ 20-250C (68-770F) N/mm2

Rigid PVC to Rigid PVC ^5.39

ABS to ABS ^6.37

Polycarbonate to Polycarbonate ^11.17

Polystyrene to Polystyrene ^4.41

Steel to Steel 21.17

Stainless_Steel-to-Stainless_Steel 16.95

Copper-to-Copper 15.97

Aluminum-to-Aluminum 18.13

Steel to Rigid PVC ^5.39

Stainless Steel to Neoprene ^0.69

ABS to SBR ^0.69

^=substrate failure

Reference here:

http://www.accumetricinc.com/dynatex/PDF/I49403,49431.doc

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8334.html

That being the case, maybe we can repair all those snapped plastic red ball joints on the V arm with super glue.

I am somewhat skeptical though. But these product info seem to be concret scientific data (plus some manufacturer boasting included, obviously). And if indeed ABS would fail as a substrate before the super glue bond does, then Boxster owner's can save quite a bit of money.

Yes. My red ball joint is being glued right now. :)

Edited by Jinster

• Moderators

That joint is under a big load and I bet it comes apart the first time you use it. The joint is made of white plastic now. There is a US company that makes a metal joint for the Boxster. As you know, Porsche does not sell just the joint - you have to buy the entire arm.

One guy bought some generic metal joints because he did not want to pay Porsche prices. http://www.mcmaster.com/ Maybe you can find something like that in your area. I could not figure out how to do a link to the catalog page with the joints so here is a screen shot. Part number is 9416K96.

post-4-1173032935_thumb.jpg

TP, you are unbelievably resourceful. :)

I went to the site. I ordered. Hopefully they ship to Australia. We have nothing like it here.

Yeah, even tho the data says the bond is stronger than ABS itself, somehow I just think it'd fall apart too. :) Well, can't hurt trying I suppose.

Paul, this is the linkage between the convertible transmission and the convertible top. One on each side. Together, they bear the entire force used to open and close the roof.

• Moderators

I hope I was clear.

The link to McMaster is for generic ball joints used by some guy.

Metal joints designed specifically for the Boxster are made by Scott Levy and are sold by KLA Industries. http://www.klaindustries.net/products/products-1.htm

We have discussed metal joints before. There is a risk using metal joints. If something goes wrong with the top operation a plastic joint will break and might prevent damage to other top parts. That's not going to happen with a metal joint.

This is Scott's joint.

post-4-1173062078_thumb.jpg