Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Lock Removal

What a pain I'm trying to remove the ignition keylock and switch assy because my key will not turn. I removed the (1) nut and bolt that attaches it to the steering column and it seems loose and pulls out about 1/8" but will not come out all the way, seems almost like you need to push a pin or something to release it. Can some send me directions with pictures if you have.

I read the DIY but still not enough information on the lock itself.

Thanks

info@www.webbspot.com

Any gurus out there.

The pin can not be pushed fron under the dash board, you would have to remove the instrument cluster, it can be seen from there. Just replaced mine. Need to go but when I return will try to send you how to do it in pdf. format.

Hi Mother, any progress?
No Joy! but quit a few have tried to help me but, the key needs to be turned "on" to push the pin to release lock but, " I can not turn mine" so I'm tring to just remove the switch on the lock in hopes that I can turn the key. It's a long shot I guess but one of the 2 set screws will not come out, man what else, I even contimplated cutting the area with a dremel around the pin so I can pull it out and if that does not work I will just take a FLAME THROWER TO IT!. Anyone have any suggestions. I am just surprized that this has not happened to anyone else that cannot turn there key to the "on" position. Edited by Mother

No Joy! but quit a few have tried to help me but, the key needs to be turned "on" to push the pin to release lock but, " I can not turn mine" so I'm tring to just remove the switch on the lock in hopes that I can turn the key. It's a long shot I guess but one of the 2 set screws will not come out, man what else, I even contimplated cutting the area with a dremel around the pin so I can pull it out and if that does not work I will just take a FLAME THROWER TO IT!. Anyone have any suggestions. I am just surprized that this has not happened to anyone else that cannot turn there key to the "on" position.

Make sure the steering wheel is not locked, also the switch at the end of the locking colum is not what makes the key turn unless the switch has something broken inside. Another part that may cause the key not to turn is the lock barrel. Take a look at this:

Steering_Lock.pdf

Hope other members with more knowledge than me can help you. Don't think flaming anything would be a good idea, you could burn something inside that tight sapce.

Well I removed the switch just in case that was the cause, but still can't turn key. I thouight it took a special tool from porsche to remove the tumbler/barrel but great find I will give it a try. It problem seems that it is in the area you are suggesting.

Edited by Mother

The steering wheel is not locked and I tried the PDF, but in the instructions the key needs to be in position 1 or "on" which my key will not turn and I can not remove barrel. It is hard to concieve that that key needs to be "on" to remove it. What a joke. :cursing:

Edited by Mother

The steering wheel is not locked and I tried the PDF, but in the instructions the key needs to be in position 1 or "on" which my key will not turn and I can not remove barrel. It is hard to concieve that that key needs to be "on" to remove it. What a joke. :cursing:

HI is it unknown why the key will not turn? I would dare say try a lubricant, either WD40 or Graphite and be vigorous with your attempts. All the while playing with the wheel incase it possibly is binded somehow. Like when your wheels are turned at just the right angle it puts backwards pressure on the steering rack and causes the column to bind. Unless you stole the car and are just trying to get it out to put your keyed replacement in. Oh and most of the cars I have ever replaced the ignition barrel in had to be in the on position to release the barrel by pressing the pin. Just FYI.

Oh and come to think I will attempt to see if one of my keys less the chip will allow the ignition to turn. I switched to a GT keyhead and I know I had trouble trying to use it until I found the little glass chip and moved it also. Gimmie a sec.

No that wasn't it the key still turned it just wont start the car.

I can only say add lub. and be aggressive with it. Good Luck

Edited by ViolaGT3

HI is it unknown why the key will not turn? I would dare say try a lubricant, either WD40 or Graphite and be vigorous with your attempts. All the while playing with the wheel incase it possibly is binded somehow. Like when your wheels are turned at just the right angle it puts backwards pressure on the steering rack and causes the column to bind. Unless you stole the car and are just trying to get it out to put your keyed replacement in. Oh and most of the cars I have ever replaced the ignition barrel in had to be in the on position to release the barrel. Just FYI.

Oh and come to think I will attempt to see if one of my keys less the chip will allow the ignition to turn. I switched to a GT keyhead and I know I had trouble trying to use it until I found the little glass chip and moved it also. Gimmie a sec.

No that wasn't it the key still turned it just wont start the car.

I can only say add lub. and be aggressive with it. Good Luck

I purchased the car from an insurance auction and of course they took all the expensive parts out! Yes I tried wd40 and giggling and turning the wheel some back and forth same old thing maybe I will try agian tomorrow. I did have a passing thought that because I did not have any power or any of the computers even that it would not turn, but not believing myself on that one.

Edited by Mother

I got a reply that I would need to get my car to run is match the DME, Alarm (imobliser) and key set. The one on ebay is that the alarm on the lock assy? or is it under the drivers seat as in my picture?

The set I was thinking about except the PN# does not match the PN# my 996 calls for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...VQQcmdZViewItem

post-4095-1173590732_thumb.jpg

I purchased the car from an insurance auction and of course they took all the expensive parts out! Yes I tried wd40 and giggling and turning the wheel some back and forth same old thing maybe I will try agian tomorrow. I did have a passing thought that because I did not have any power or any of the computers even that it would not turn, but not believing myself on that one.

Hmmm, well there are not any huge anti turning mechanisms in the assembly. One thing you might check is to see if the key works in the door. I know it sounds odd but could they have given you the wrong key. I'd be willing to bet I could break the plastic actuator or the key if I was upset and in your position trying to turn it. If possible can you attempt to look down the cylinder and see if there is maybe something in there preventing the key from seating all the way or is it possible the the kek has been marred. I would place my money on either the key being wrong or it got jammed/jarred when it was towed to the impound etc.

1395.JPG

Wanted to post the pic on the other forum you are posting but was not able to.

Try turning it with a screw driver the part inside the red circle.

It could be that the real switch is broken so try removing the actual switch at the end of the assembly.

post-15979-1173703718_thumb.jpg

Edited by hi8ha

Hmmm, well there are not any huge anti turning mechanisms in the assembly. One thing you might check is to see if the key works in the door. I know it sounds odd but could they have given you the wrong key. I'd be willing to bet I could break the plastic actuator or the key if I was upset and in your position trying to turn it. If possible can you attempt to look down the cylinder and see if there is maybe something in there preventing the key from seating all the way or is it possible the the kek has been marred. I would place my money on either the key being wrong or it got jammed/jarred when it was towed to the impound etc.

The key works the doors and center console just fine and slides down the tumblers all the way, my car goes to the shop for my engine transplant Thursday to the supercharged one and I will ask if they have any suggestions. You guys have been very helpful and will let you know what they have to say also. Edited by Mother

1395.JPG

Wanted to post the pic on the other forum you are posting but was not able to.

Try turning it with a screw driver the part inside the red circle.

It could be that the real switch is broken so try removing the actual switch at the end of the assembly.

I thought that also so I removed the switch with no change but, I'll give a big screw driver a chance at the electrical side tomorrow. :thumbup: Or I and have it towed to a bad part of town and wait for a theif to pull the key lock out. :) Edited by Mother

I am having an issue with my ignition lock as well. At times, can't get the key in, or out. Or when it is out, I am still given the "Key in Ignition" notice. And when I crank the car to start, not all electrical components start. If I turn the key just a tiny bit counter-clockwise in the ignition, once the car has started, I can get all the components to activate.

Wierd, and annoying, as it cost me $150 in limo fees, not to mention a blow-out fight with the Mrs.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it corrected under Warranty.

Edited by Cattman

• 1 month later...

Ok Finally lock assy is out and new one is in. :clapping: Called a locksmith and the key turned about 1/8 to the right, but not to the 1st detent which told him it was not the tumblers and lock was ok. Next day he showed up with a cutter and cut the lock in half mind you he was not sure what he was doing either but at this point I just wanted it out! Well with the cut part off we popped off the lock assy plate and saw that it was binding in there and could not free it up. Well next step when you cut it off there is nothing to grab on to, to turn. and the pin would still not depress. :cursing: Next and last resort <_< a heavy hammer and screw driver and beat the sh**t out of it as it goes into the steering column hitting away from the column direction and it still would not come all the way out but to my surprise I could see part of the pin so we drilled there tring to get part of the pin on the lock which worked and came out with a couple more big "waaaaaks" with a hammer. :thumbup:. Well I paid him took about 35 - 40 min and as he left said he probably won't be doing any more Porsches LOL.

post-4095-1176688041_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1176688048_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1176688055_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1176688061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mother

OK~! Jolly Jokers, I do have to watch what I take pictures of, The door sills are removed and being polished and I need to do some paint touch up work. ;) I heard you ask what am I using to polish with...You guessed it Mothers! :thumbup:

Edited by Mother