Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

i hooked up my durametric tool to my 99 C4 and discovered that the car has run 900+ hours. when i got the car last year it showed 11,000kms. i am aware of the practice of many sellers (here in manila) to have their cars odometers tampered for about $100-120. but i wasnt expecting a car like my 996 to be tampered. is it possible that if the seller who i bought the car from tampered the mileage and thus resulted in the low operating hours i saw with my durametric? does this number mean the total hours the engine has run since new from the facotry to the time i plugged my scan tool? :(

I am not sure, but 11,000 km at 900 hours is 12 km/hr average. What makes you think it is tampered?

ive recently been to the dealer where i got my car and test drove an 05 997s. it only had 2,300kms on the odo but had a service now reminder(!) on the lcd panel on the speedo. i understand that that reminder will come on depending on distance and how the car was driven, does that mean the car was driven very hard for 2,300kms then sold? my car is a 99, and i find that 900 operating hours is too low for an 8 yr old car and im no math whiz by any measure.

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...operating+hours

You may also look at the air bag hours, but I do not know if you can do that with durametric.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...32&hl=hours

The engine operating hours are from the time you start the car until you shut it off.

The rule of thumb I use is 35 miles per operating hour. But that is just a rule of thumb. The DME was replace on my 1997 Boxster in March 2005. I had 51,000 miles and 1,622 operating hours in 8 years. The new DME had zero operating hours.

As far as I know, it is possible to change the mileage of a Porsche (most makes) but unless the job is done with serious detail there are ways of finding out. In order for full tampered mileage to be entered, you would need to change alot of operating hours of various systems, this would take a while and not sure if it can be done with most systems, not even with the Porsche equipment.

So if in doubt, get it checks, they will probably be able to find out a value that seems strange somewhere if it has been altered.

Loren and tool pant will have the answer to if its possible to tamper the mileage with out any trance.........but I doubt it.

• Moderators

There is even a mileage correction message board. http://www.mileage-correction.net/forum/fo...on-porsche.html They say if it is done correctly it cannot be detected. I do not know of any way to detect it other than using the rule of thumb and a Carfax report if you are in the US. I think in the 997 and maybe the newer 996s mileage is also in the DME - I forget.

Whall had the mileage changed, http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12805

In the old days with electronic clusters they would unsolder the chip - that you could detect. But they do not do that anymore.

Or it was probably purchased by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. Yeah, that is probably it.

If the dealer is dishonest then you are right to be suspicious. Hit him with some kali sticks until he confess.

Or it was probably purchased by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. Yeah, that is probably it.

If the dealer is dishonest then you are right to be suspicious. Hit him with some kali sticks until he confess.

i figured using the rule of thumb in kilometers...my car probably has run 47,000kms and not 11,000kms when we got it. looks like i may need those kali sticks. :cursing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I tested the rule of thumb today on a 2000 Boxster S owned by Tariq.

The mileage is 98,689 miles. The engine operating hours 3,019.

If you do the math that comes out to an average of 33 miles per operating hour, not far off the rule of thumb.

Some time back Loren checked a 1999 996. 39,758 miles and 1,166 hours, or an average of 34.

My 1997 Boxster had 1,622 hours on the original DME and I have 316 hours on the new DME - total hours 1,938. Mileage is 62,549, or an average of 32 miles per operating hour. I live in a traffic congested area with a lot of stop and go traffic

post-4-1175369794_thumb.jpg

post-4-1175369819_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

3 more examples. Neither were the original owners so they do not know the car history.

Joe with a 2001 Boxster 3.2. 49,391 miles and 1637 operating hours, or an average of 30. Looking through some info the car was originally from Southern California and is now in the SF Bay Area. Due to our traffic congestion this meets the rule of thumb test.

Fred with a 1999 996. 84,140 miles and 1,747 operating hours, or an average of 48. This does not meet the rule of thumb test. This 996 lived on Interstate 5 or, I suspect, the DME had been replaced. If I had been thinking I would have also checked the air bag operating hours.

Tony with a 2001 Boxster 2.7. 45,740 miles and 1,418 operating hours, or an average of 32. He is the third owner and this has been a SF Bay Area car.

Pic of Joe's Boxster.

post-4-1179605143_thumb.jpg