Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBD II fault codes P1128 and P1130

Has anyone had both these two fault codes show up (I have an 00 base Boxster) after the CEL light came on? The fault codes are: P1128 (oxygen sensing adaptation area 2--cylinders 1 and 3--rich threshold) and P1130 (oxygen sensing adaptation area 2--cylinders 4-5--rich threshold). I have been told the problem is NOT with the two oxygen sensors but more likely a vacuum leak or bad oil separater, or even a bad mass airflow sensor. I'd really welcome feedback from anyone familiar with these fault codes before taking the car to a mechanic for expensive repairs.

hope i don't get blasted for replying but I just had these codes and mine was related due to a cracked seal in the oil filler cap...

So check your oil cap and the cap for the petrol first.

Edited by ChrisZang

• 2 months later...
hope i don't get blasted for replying but I just had these codes and mine was related due to a cracked seal in the oil filler cap...

do we have an update?

do we have an update?

First off, If your going to take it to get fixed, make sure he is a technician not just a parts changer, things can get expensive if its not diagnosed properly.

The Tech should first analyze the dme data and look for the tell tale signs of rich or lean condition, for lean condition I would then procede to look for vacuum leak, oil filler cap as Chris said, and If you dont have a smoke machine, use propane around the intake, oil separator ect. and look at the o2 signals for rich

reading, high voltage close to .800 1.0 volts. If no leak then most likely it is your Maf. By the way to test an O2 sensor to see if it is Biased Lean all you have to do is create a rich and lean condition and see voltage transitions, usaully with O-scope, transition time should be less than 200 milliseconds. if no transition then you have a dead o2 sensor. The tech should do a hard reset after erasing codes to reset the adaptation values back to 0.00

vizcarra44

• 2 months later...

do we have an update?

First off, If your going to take it to get fixed, make sure he is a technician not just a parts changer, things can get expensive if its not diagnosed properly.

The Tech should first analyze the dme data and look for the tell tale signs of rich or lean condition, for lean condition I would then procede to look for vacuum leak, oil filler cap as Chris said, and If you dont have a smoke machine, use propane around the intake, oil separator ect. and look at the o2 signals for rich

reading, high voltage close to .800 1.0 volts. If no leak then most likely it is your Maf. By the way to test an O2 sensor to see if it is Biased Lean all you have to do is create a rich and lean condition and see voltage transitions, usaully with O-scope, transition time should be less than 200 milliseconds. if no transition then you have a dead o2 sensor. The tech should do a hard reset after erasing codes to reset the adaptation values back to 0.00

vizcarra44

are there any updates?

I have the same problems and no idea what to do anymore.

I already replaced the MAF, oil separator incl. J-Tube, Air- Check valve, but my Boxster is still stuttering and black smoke is coming out of the exhaust at higher rpms and at idle speed.

Here are my fault codes:

27 OXS sensing range 1, Cyl 1-3, P1123 or P1124

34 OXS sensing range 2, Cyl 4-6, P1129 or P1130

10 OXS Sensor before cat cyl 1-3, P0130, 0134, 0131, 0132 *

18 OXS Sensor before cat cyl 4-6, P0150, 0154, 0151, 0152 *

26 OXS sensing range 2, cyl 1-3. *

55 Misfire Cyl 6 emission related, P1318

53 Misfire Cyl 4 emission related, P1316 *

54 Misfire Cyl 5 emission related, P1317 *

62 Misfire Cyl 5 emission related, P1319 *

do we have an update?

vizcarra44

are there any updates?

I have the same problems and no idea what to do anymore.

I already replaced the MAF, oil separator incl. J-Tube, Air- Check valve, but my Boxster is still stuttering and black smoke is coming out of the exhaust at higher rpms and at idle speed.

Here are my fault codes:

27 OXS sensing range 1, Cyl 1-3, P1123 or P1124

34 OXS sensing range 2, Cyl 4-6, P1129 or P1130

10 OXS Sensor before cat cyl 1-3, P0130, 0134, 0131, 0132 *

18 OXS Sensor before cat cyl 4-6, P0150, 0154, 0151, 0152 *

26 OXS sensing range 2, cyl 1-3. *

55 Misfire Cyl 6 emission related, P1318

53 Misfire Cyl 4 emission related, P1316 *

54 Misfire Cyl 5 emission related, P1317 *

62 Misfire Cyl 5 emission related, P1319 *

You really have spent some serious money trying to repair this car. I suggest you find yourself someone who truley understands how the engine management system works and is a Diagnostic tech/troubleshooter. It is always better to test than guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the two pre-cat oxygen sensors. The car runs perfect now- no gas smell, engine stuttering or black smoke anymore. After 40 miles the engine check light came back on (P0130), I assume it is due to the dirt and carb which is still in the engine. I added some Techron (Chevron) engine cleaner to the fuel and fired the engine with high rpms on the highway to get it hot and clean- seems to work! So far (140miles) the light didn't came back on.