Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installed double din navigation

I am fast becoming a GPS junkie. Combine this with the sad sound of the stock sound system in my 2001 996 and I had to make a change. I installed a Kenwood 6019 double din head unit with navigation, Sirius Radio and the IPOD control. Plus I can play DVD movies and play back my camcorder.

I talked to Rod at Car Audio Innovations about 6 months ago but hesitated on pulling the trigger on his recommendations. I am glad I did as the system sounds great. I sent my factory speakers to Rod so he could mount the new component three ways for the front dash and door panel and the two ways in the rear side panel speakers. He made up one of his subwoofer boxes with three 6.5" JL three ways which mounts behind the rear seats. For the amp, he gave me a good deal on the Audison Lrx 6.9 which has an output of 950 watts.

While I could have purchased some of the components cheaper online, I am glad I bought from Rod as his written directions and his answering my phone questions was invaluable. The great thing about the finished system is it look stock.

post-11440-1174790668.jpg

post-11440-1174790699.jpg

post-11440-1174790713.jpg

Edited by jerhofer

I am fast becoming a GPS junkie. Combine this with the sad sound of the stock sound system in my 2001 996 and I had to make a change. I installed a Kenwood 6019 double din head unit with navigation, Sirius Radio and the IPOD control. Plus I can play DVD movies and play back my camcorder.

I talked to Rod at Car Audio Innovations about 6 months ago but hesitated on pulling the trigger on his recommendations. I am glad I did as the system sounds great. I sent my factory speakers to Rod so he could mount the new component three ways for the front dash and door panel and the two ways in the rear side panel speakers. He made up one of his subwoofer boxes with three 6.5" JL three ways which mounts behind the rear seats. For the amp, he gave me a good deal on the Audison Lrx 6.9 which has an output of 950 watts.

While I could have purchased some of the components cheaper online, I am glad I bought from Rod as his written directions and his answering my phone questions was invaluable. The great thing about the finished system is it look stock.

I have installed at least 10 Navi system for myself and friends in varies cars.

I never need to put the antenna outside the car. you should consider putting it back inside because it ruin the look of your car.

I have installed at least 10 Navi system for myself and friends in varies cars.

I never need to put the antenna outside the car. you should consider putting it back inside because it ruin the look of your car.

Btw, I have 10% tint on all windows except front windshield if someone gonna say the window BLOCK the signal

Edited by mtimmy

Hello jerhofer:

I'm in the process of installing a new sys. on my 2001 996. I'm getting the pioneer avic d3 and I've been talking to Rod myself for the last 2 days. you mentioned that you had sent him your speakers??

Can you explain that?

I was planning on buying a jbl amp from crutchfield, but thinking about it I should be somehow matching speakers/amp, am I correct?

Any info would be appreciated

thanks

That system does look great...I just bought an 02 C4S and I am having the Pioneer AVIC Z2 installed this coming Monday...in my last 99 996 I had the PCM 1 which was horrible in my opinion (by today's standards for sure). I purposely bought this car without NAV, with the intention of putting in something aftermarket...as long as it looks stock...your's certainly does look stock. Can I ask, did you move your AC controls to the lower console? I have to do that.....

I also want to tint my windows, not rapper-blingy, just a light job....am I reading the last posts to suggest that we can go 10% without interference on the NAV signal reception?

thanks!

You can go as dark as you like on tint as long as you use a non-metallic film. I used a carbon based film for that reason. I'd suggest you stay away from any dyed films as they tend to purple over time. Check with your installer to see what he recommends.

That system does look great...I just bought an 02 C4S and I am having the Pioneer AVIC Z2 installed this coming Monday...in my last 99 996 I had the PCM 1 which was horrible in my opinion (by today's standards for sure). I purposely bought this car without NAV, with the intention of putting in something aftermarket...as long as it looks stock...your's certainly does look stock. Can I ask, did you move your AC controls to the lower console? I have to do that.....

I also want to tint my windows, not rapper-blingy, just a light job....am I reading the last posts to suggest that we can go 10% without interference on the NAV signal reception?

thanks!

No, I did not have to move my AC controls. The upper part on my car had the radio and the cup holders. I was originally thinking of the Pioneer AVIC D2 but one of the reasons that Rod prefers the Kenwood is that it has a mounting sleeve. According to him, the AVIC D2 does not have a mounting sleeve which makes the installation somewhat more difficult. Also, the AVIC D2 has two DVD's for separate halves of the country while the Kenwood has everything in the hard drive on the separate unit.

I have a Garmin 2610 portable unit with which I have been very pleased. The fact that Garmin provides the navigation for the Kenwood was a big plus for me. With my 2610, when you do not have a destination set, it automatically displays the next crossing road as you drive, which is very helpful. The Kenwood navigation has this same feature.

My wife has an Audi A3 with factory nav, and I had an Acura TL and a BMW X5 with factory nav. I would rate the Kenwood above all of these units with the Audi unit being the worst, the BMW next and the Acura the best of the three factory units. I really like the logical way the Kenwood works.

thanks Jerhofer...and I agree on the fact that most OEM Navs are substandard to the aftermarket nowadays...my wife's new Denali has a decent system, but no bluetooth for calling...what a shame My MB G Wagon has the worst system of them all, hands down.

Anyways, I ordered the AVIC Z2, not D2 and based off of your description of your kenwood, they sound pretty similar in their functions and capabilities....can't wait to get it into the car. Hopefully the sleeve issue that you referenced doesn't become an issue for my install team...

happy trails

The antenna if small enough should be able to fit forward of the security light in the recessed pocket on the dash. Aside from that, an installer I talked to yesterday told me that you could mount the antenna under the trim between the wipers. The trim will not interfere with the signal since it's plastic.

Question that he couldn't answer for me that some of you may already know>>> What, if any problem is there with the onboard computer when installing an aftermarket unit like this?

How does this aftermarket set up work with the Bose system in the car? My MY03 car came with the upgraded stereo but not the NAV.

• 2 months later...
The antenna if small enough should be able to fit forward of the security light in the recessed pocket on the dash. Aside from that, an installer I talked to yesterday told me that you could mount the antenna under the trim between the wipers. The trim will not interfere with the signal since it's plastic.

Question that he couldn't answer for me that some of you may already know>>> What, if any problem is there with the onboard computer when installing an aftermarket unit like this?

How does this aftermarket set up work with the Bose system in the car? My MY03 car came with the upgraded stereo but not the NAV.

Just got an 2002 C4S with BOSE and a single DIN OEM porsche Traffic Pro 4760 navi.

Would like to replace the Porsche OEM TrafficPro with a more graphical-capable aftermarket system, but I'm also wondering about the BOSE connectivity. Cant find any information in the forums on that.

Anyone?

Just got an 2002 C4S with BOSE and a single DIN OEM porsche Traffic Pro 4760 navi.

Would like to replace the Porsche OEM TrafficPro with a more graphical-capable aftermarket system, but I'm also wondering about the BOSE connectivity. Cant find any information in the forums on that.

Anyone?

For the 03 with the Bose, you're screwed. It has a proprietary connection fiberoptic system, called MOST. In order to change the head unit, you'll have to power the speakers directly from the deck or use amps. As far as I know, there's no way to integrate a new deck into the existing amp.

For the 02 you can definititely connect by splicing wiring directly. Also, I think you can use a wiring harness by Metra (part no 17-1787, VW/Audi amplified harness) to use the stock plug. I can't confirm this 100%, but I will be installing my Double Din Kenwood (DVN 7100) in the next week or so.

Edited by flash-80

Anyone?

For the 03 with the Bose, you're screwed. It has a proprietary connection fiberoptic system, called MOST. In order to change the head unit, you'll have to power the speakers directly from the deck or use amps. As far as I know, there's no way to integrate a new deck into the existing amp.

For the 02 you can definititely connect by splicing wiring directly. Also, I think you can use a wiring harness by Metra (part no 17-1787, VW/Audi amplified harness) to use the stock plug. I can't confirm this 100%, but I will be installing my Double Din Kenwood (DVN 7100) in the next week or so.

Ok, I know I dont have MOST as it's a a 2002.

Flash, I assume you have BOSE installed as well, and from what I now gathered on other forums is that the BOSE amp takes highlevel input (i.e no line-level input).

Still I dont really understand how the current wires are pulled, for high level the 8 speaker wires from the radio would be used ? But there is a line-out on the main unit , should not this be the one used ?

Please take some pics when you do your install :)