Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

transmission issue

guys anyone had this problem before...

my is a 2001 C4.. recently it happen couple times . gear is switching normally when it get to 4th gear the light beside 4 start to flash instead of just light up and stay there.. it flash and flash .. doenst seem to want to swtich to 5th gear like it normally would...

the flash might go away after I decrese speed then it will work normally again

has this happen to anyone ? what can be wrong ..

• 2 weeks later...

to give more info

usually it happen after i take the car out for a nice little run .., drive it in Manaul mode for a while.. then it will start to flash at 4th gear.... i will pop it back into D... then both D and 4 will flash?? weired.....

no one with TIP ever had this issue??

to give more info

usually it happen after i take the car out for a nice little run .., drive it in Manaul mode for a while.. then it will start to flash at 4th gear.... i will pop it back into D... then both D and 4 will flash?? weired.....

no one with TIP ever had this issue??

From what I've learned from the manual, the flashing "4" light is an indication of a Tiptonic error. Your service center should be able to check for codes.

Showboat,

Have the codes read with an OBDII reader, and if you do not have a reader you can go to an "autozone" type of store and they can read the codes. Write them down and post them here again. Most Tip codes will begin with "07". When was the last time you changed the Transmission fluid? Could be as simple as that, low pressure to the transmission. Could be some serious problem. Get the codes first though.

the code i got was 37... i am not in the US.. the car is German spec that is why my tranmission code is differerent....but what it says was tranmission unit temperture sensor fault

also got 2 more code while scanning for code

P1128 and P1130....

what are those?

thanks guys

Showboat,

Have the codes read with an OBDII reader, and if you do not have a reader you can go to an "autozone" type of store and they can read the codes. Write them down and post them here again. Most Tip codes will begin with "07". When was the last time you changed the Transmission fluid? Could be as simple as that, low pressure to the transmission. Could be some serious problem. Get the codes first though.

Showboat,

for the transmission, DTC 37 is Transmission Temperature Sensor (P0710 for OBDII). Here is what I could find about it:

post-4600-1176123678_thumb.png

Two things come to mind, the ATF coolant switchover valve or the wiring harness. The valve I replaced in my car, it was leaking. Easy job to do if you are so inclined. The valve could be stuck open. There is vaccum line to the valve, make sure it is not loose. The valve is plastic, under the car near the transmission cooler. If you clamp both coolant lines between the valve, easy to remove without a mess.

If the temp sensor is damaged, you have to replace the wiring harness as the "sensor is integrated in the harness". I would start with the valve, make sure the vac line (small black hose attached to the top of the valve housing) is secured, then replace the valve as it is pretty cheap relatitve to the harness.

The other codes are related to the O2 Sensor. But can also be triggered by a dirty MAF. Use some electrical cleaner to clean it and reset the codes. If the code persists, then I would replace the sensor.

Edited by izzyandsue

thanks man

wow u r good

that is exactly what my mechnic told me.. he say he will start at the valve check for the vacume hose... worth situation is i have to change the sensor and harness... anyone know how much those parts will run me...

as for the 2 code....if i am lucky enough cleaning hte MAF will do it.. if not i will have to check if there is some lose hose or somewhere leaking..

thanks guys

Showboat,

for the transmission, DTC 37 is Transmission Temperature Sensor (P0710 for OBDII). Here is what I could find about it:

post-4600-1176123678_thumb.png

Two things come to mind, the ATF coolant switchover valve or the wiring harness. The valve I replaced in my car, it was leaking. Easy job to do if you are so inclined. The valve could be stuck open. There is vaccum line to the valve, make sure it is not loose. The valve is plastic, under the car near the transmission cooler. If you clamp both coolant lines between the valve, easy to remove without a mess.

If the temp sensor is damaged, you have to replace the wiring harness as the "sensor is integrated in the harness". I would start with the valve, make sure the vac line (small black hose attached to the top of the valve housing) is secured, then replace the valve as it is pretty cheap relatitve to the harness.

The other codes are related to the O2 Sensor. But can also be triggered by a dirty MAF. Use some electrical cleaner to clean it and reset the codes. If the code persists, then I would replace the sensor.

You are welcome. With that in mind, I would swap the valve, cheap insurance and it can go bad. I think they run about $50, and takes 30 minutes to change including lifting the car.

I had around 50K miles on the car when the valve went bye bye.