Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Boxster S Sports Exhaust Cut out?

I just purchased a 2004 Boxster S with the factory installed Sport Exhaust. I know that the 996 Sport Exhaust has the cut out around 40mph, I was wondering if the Boxster version also has this cutout. I am still having problems hearing the sports exhaust while driving (not as loud as the 996) and so I was wondering if the reason is because it is cutting out. If it does automatically cut out is there a way to have it on all the time as well as be able to use the switch...like the relay method on the 996. Thanks for the help!

A4EP

• Moderators

Do you have option XLF? Is there a dash switch like a 996?

The original sport exhaust would close the flaps approx. 27 to approx. 42 mph. I have not seen any info on the sport exhaust for 2003/4 - not even a picture.

The original sport exhaust on a Boxster never sounded as good as the one on a 996. Jeff

Yup it is option XLF with the dash switch just like the 996. But the actual system still looks like the exhaust of the boxster, not like the one that they have pictured in the 2003/2004 Boxster tequipment brochure. The one in the brochure looks like the 996 sport exhaust.

So on the old system was there anyway of getting rid of the cutoff from 27 to 42 mph like there is for the 996 exhaust? Thanks for the help, and I totally agree I am a bit disappointed with the sound...as I said I can't really tell the difference in normal driving, just in my parking garage.

A4EP

• Moderators

Check this out. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st=0entry4094 Andi lives south of Stuttgart and he modifies the original sport exhaust - claims it sounds better than the 996 sport exhaust.

I would like to see pictures of the new sport exhaust to see what was changed.

As you know the Boxster sport exhaust shown on the PCNA site and in the current tequipment catalog is a picture of the 996 sport exhaust under the Boxster listing. The PCA site says you can use the other 2003/4 exhaust tips - so I bet your tip is bolted on.

I assume the new one works like the original. There is a vacum operated flap on each side of the muffler. Peter said the easiest way is to disconnect the vacum hose to the servos - I assume the servos are the vacum operated flaps. If you search on this board the 996 guys have another way that might work if the Boxster is wired the same way as a 996.

I will see if there is some angle I can shoot a couple pics of the new system. I will check to see if the relay modification of the 996 might also work for the Boxster system...I just don't want to ruin my new car :) I would assume that it would about the same though.