Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

knock on 2002 carrera 4 s

Loren, recently bought a 2002 02my carrera 4 s and im trying to get rid of the various creaks and knocking noises and have read many articles on the forum (absolute godsend).

However i have a knocking noise that doesnt seem to have been covered before on the forum.

On full lock (either side) i get a knocking noise which sounds like its coming from the bottom of the windsreen pillar area on both sides, not both at once but on right lock right side and left lock left side. as the noise seems to be in that kind of area could it be coming from top of shock absorber, are there any bushes that commonly need replacing ? its driving me mad and i think the neighbours are getting annoyed as the only way for me not to hear it is to turn the stereo up when i pull in to my driveway. Hope you can help, also when it rains water is leaking in thru my roof lining, could the drain holes be blocked for the sunroof ? if so can i do a diy fix on this and if so how, somebody told me that the drain plug pipe might have become disconected, is it easy to access this from the rear without dropping the roof lining,and if so how do i remove the bose subwoofer, hope im not gonna take up to much of your time with my requests, you and all the guys on here are classed as legends in the u.k, we would be lost without you, keep up the good work

Kind Regards Tim. :renntech:

• Admin

The first thing I would do with a car that is new to me is to verify what wheels and tires are on the car. I looked at a just purchased MY99 Carrera for a guy I know and he though it did not handle as good as other 996's he test drove. I drove the car and agreed - the backend was very loose.

We looked at the wheels and the fronts were 7.5 x 18 and the rears were 9.0 x 18. Those are Boxster wheels - Carrera's get at least a 10" (x 18) wheel in the rear. Apparently someone had swapped wheels not knowing the difference. Once he put the proper wheels on the car it handled great.

So, my short story there is to say it would be wise to investigate what wheels and tires you have and look for any suspension changes that could affect rubbing on the struts or their mounts.

For your leaks - yes, start with the drains. I have posted the drain diagrams here many times. Pour a little water in them and see if they drain before you take anything apart.