Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dear all,

this is my first post so bear with me.

I have just have had the PSE with electronics installed on my 996 -01. My problem is that if i turn off the ignition with the PSE in silent mode it will stay that way and since this requires electricity (it seems) this will render a deplated battery (which I experienced last week). I can even turn it on and off when the ignition is off and you can hear how the exhaust opens and closes. I thought this was strange and contacted the guy who installed the kit (not porsche center) and he said he did it by the book. My question is if this is right, should the PSE stay in silent even if the ignition is turned off? If not do anyone know how to fix it or what is wrong.

Best regards

Ola

PS :renntech:

Dear all,

this is my first post so bear with me.

I have just have had the PSE with electronics installed on my 996 -01. My problem is that if i turn off the ignition with the PSE in silent mode it will stay that way and since this requires electricity (it seems) this will render a deplated battery (which I experienced last week). I can even turn it on and off when the ignition is off and you can hear how the exhaust opens and closes. I thought this was strange and contacted the guy who installed the kit (not porsche center) and he said he did it by the book. My question is if this is right, should the PSE stay in silent even if the ignition is turned off? If not do anyone know how to fix it or what is wrong.

Best regards

Ola

PS :renntech:

I have PSE original install from factory and without the ignition on you cannot control it with the switch. I would get my hands on a factory schematic to verify the install and make the necessary corrections.

Later wiring diagrams (03/04) show the supply to the PSE switch and relay from fuse B10, which is supplied by Terminal 15, an ignition switched supply. Sounds to me like it has been wired incorrectly.

Edit: TSB Retrofit instructions also show the supply connected to fuse B10 for all models 1999 onwards.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

The PSE uses vacumn from the engine to open and close pneumatic valves on each muffler. There is a vacumn resevior so it is possible that there is enough vacumn left to open and close the valves a few times after the engine is switched off, but it does not use the battery/electricity to actually actuate the valves themselves, only the relay and switch use electricity. However, if wired properly the power to the system is cut off when the ignition is turned off. On a properly installed PSE you have to turn it to quiet mode every time you start the car, and the vacumn closes the valves to close off the muffler bypass.