Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Making my car more of a daily driver...?

Hello,

I am a recent purchaser of my first Porsche. I bought a 2002 996 Carrera Coupe. It has two options that look great, but are quickly making my life difficult. They are the Aero Kit and the 18" Light Alloy Wheels. My car is my only daily driver and I don't live in an area with perfect streets by any means.

Questions:

How easy is it to remove the Aero Kit and what is under there? Will the car look like a "regular" Coupe when I am done or will I have holes from mounting the body kit?

How much performance (street use, no track) am I giving up by getting rid of the 18" wheels for the standard 17" wheels. Does anybody like the 17" wheels or does "everybody" want to have the 18" wheels on this car? I guess I am asking both regarding performance and asthetics.

Thanks.

Mike

I wouldn't worry about making changes due to potential problems that MAY arise. It would cost just as much for you to change from 18s to 17s as it would to replace a wheel if one were to get damaged. And the aero kit may get damaged but I think getting rid of it just because potential damage could occur is a costly move. If it gets damaged, them maybe you can modify the aero kit to prevent future damage.

Mike,

My car IS a daily driver and the roads here in Spain vary from utter cr*p to pristine tollroad/(no cops) auto routes :D

I have just changed the tyres (Pirelli: 2x€400) on my 18" wheels at the business end and must say what a diference a new set of rear rubber feels. The car rides so much better!

The fronts have about 5K km life left on them which is now making the car understeer on "commited" corners so they will go soon. The car will feel even greater then.

In short, 18" wheels can deal with the school run no problema in my humble opinion. I have had the car 17 months now.

ENJOY B)

Mike,

My car IS a daily driver and the roads here in Spain vary from utter cr*p to pristine tollroad/(no cops) auto routes :D

I have just changed the tyres (Pirelli: 2x€400) on my 18" wheels at the business end and must say what a diference a new set of rear rubber feels. The car rides so much better!

The fronts have about 5K km life left on them which is now making the car understeer on "commited" corners so they will go soon. The car will feel even greater then.

In short, 18" wheels can deal with the school run no problema in my humble opinion. I have had the car 17 months now.

ENJOY B)

I was in same predicament... after losing two rims to potholes, I use 18s in summer and 17s in winter. Performance degradation is minimal.. Mine is a daily driver.

Another reason for considering changing to 17s from the 18s is the air pressure issue... I would feel much better running *normal* tire pressures. 36F, 36R seems like it must improve ride quality as compared to 36F, 44R. I know this issue has been discussed A LOT, but I can't help think Porsche is compensating for the load bearing situation of the low profile tires on 18" rears at the expense of ride quality and tire wear.

As a comparison, my dad has a standard Merc 350 SLK, which I have driven many times in Scotland. It rides way harder than my car which of course is on 18" wheels with sports suspension. Go figure :D

In short, if in doubt change the rubber not the wheels.