Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Side Skirt Issues....

Gary Almond just dropped off my "new" car for my wife (2003 GR/SB) tiptronic but has the GT3 aerokit package. Only problem is that the skirts do not seem to be seated flush against the car. You can drop a credita card or two down the crease between the top of the skirt and the body panel of the car. Now the skirts can easily be pushed to the proper position and sit flush with the car but they just don't hold the position.

Adter reading the TSB, I'm geeing the body shop who did the installation in FL either forgot ot use the double-sided epoxy tape or used none at all. Any ideas on where I can get this so I can take care of this issue by myself or is there more than meets the eye and let a "pro"handle it?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Bit the bullet and send it to a reputable body shop.

I know you say that, but I brought mine for an estimate with a similar issue to a "reputible" porsche only body shop and the guy look at me like I was nuts because I wanted to pay to have my one side removed and re-done. He gave me the no-one is that nuts about their car look.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a problem on my car too... It happened the day I picked it up 3 weeks ago.

They had it up in the air and apparently the pressure popped the skirt loose.

I was given some seal/bond.. however that held the the side skirts intact for about a day. I'll try doing it again in the winter.

I wouldn't mind so much, but you can see the black tape against my silver paint and it looks like crap.

I had this with my old Boxster S. They were dealer fit (as opposed to factory) and i think is where all the problems start? The 'double sided' tape came away within 1 week. They then ordered 'special' strong bonding tape to refit the skirts. However, the fit was unsatisfactory with a huge gap all along the top. Back it goes again, this time to the bodyshop they use. The body shop proceeded to use windscreen sealant, which they reckon was stronger and also less prone to water relaxing the hold. OK for about two weeks, then off it starts to come again. Back once again, and finally they did a good fitting 'flush' job that actually lasted near three years until i sold the car! Look nice, but god they are a pain!!!