Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Accelaration hesitation

In my Boxster 2000 with Tiptronic, I have noticed sluggish reaction to pressing the acceleration pedal. The engine revs up first for a second or two and then it "engages" to move. This happens both in Manual and Auto mode. This behavior has shaken my confidence in crossing roads with heavy traffic and I usually wait for a clear road so I can cross.

Is this normal behavior? Any ideas why is this happening?

Thanassis

P.S. This is a great forum and recently became a contributing member. I would urge everyone that is using this blog to contribute....I have learned so much in the last year and have been able to do some simple mods myself like the pin 18 hack.

In my Boxster 2000 with Tiptronic, I have noticed sluggish reaction to pressing the acceleration pedal. The engine revs up first for a second or two and then it "engages" to move. This happens both in Manual and Auto mode. This behavior has shaken my confidence in crossing roads with heavy traffic and I usually wait for a clear road so I can cross.

Is this normal behavior? Any ideas why is this happening?

Thanassis

P.S. This is a great forum and recently became a contributing member. I would urge everyone that is using this blog to contribute....I have learned so much in the last year and have been able to do some simple mods myself like the pin 18 hack.

I have a Boxster with tip as well and in Drive mode it is very much dependent on how I drive the car, if I am already in 5th gear 'crusing' the car takes about 1-2 seconds to adjust (gears downs and revs up) and then it accelerates - this is very typical for Automatic gears.

In Manual / TipTronic mode however I dont feel the hesitation you are talking about only if you have geared up 'too high' then it will be slow (but thats car-logics - for fast accelration allways go into 3rd gear and push that gear to the limit)... If I hit the speeder in my car after a red light I definitely get a kick from the accelration and 10 out of 10 times I am first over the road and I feel confident taking 'chances' in traffic - I especially think this a great part about the base boxster with tip, it is very capable of getting up in tempo in a very balanced, relaxed and effortless way, the automatic gear or tiptronic gearing is soooooo smoth - I love it, I wont EVER have a Porsche without tiptronic.

BTW I had a great 'boost' after a full service where the spark-plugs and all 6 spark-plug-plugs were replaced (mine were cracked)....

• 3 years later...

Thanassis,

Did you ever find out what the problem was here? I am having the same issue in a 98 boxster without tiptronic.

Thanks!

Jared:

The possible causes of hesitation (as in "delayed response" when pressing on the gas pedal) are rarely the same cause between an automatic and a manual transmission car.

The only ones they may have in common are ignition and timing related, with fuel starvation due to a clogged fuel filter being another, less common possibility.

More likely, with a manual transmission, delayed acceleration is commonly caused by a slipping clutch disc plate due to wear or contamination. It is relatively easy to isolate that as a possibility by putting the car in 4th or 5th gear at about 20 or 25 mph and then stomping on the gas pedal. If you see the revs go up immediately, but don't see a corresponding increase in vehicle speed then you have your culprit. When the clutch is on its way to needing replacement, but not quite shot, the car's road speed will slowly catch up to the revs.

By contrast, with an automatic, the first things to investigate are the level and condition of the automatic transmission fluid.

Regards, Maurice.