Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Spark Plugs Before 60k

I am new to the Forum as I picked up a CPO 2002 C4 Cab about 2 weeks ago. I took a quick look at the service history of the car, and the history is pretty clean (only a few minor repairs during the first 5 years), with all maintenance done by the dealership. The car has 50k on it and I was under the impression that all of the maintenance had to be up to date to earn a CPO title.

Based on the wealth of information I found here, I thought all of the past maintenance was done at/in advance of the recommended times, and some was just done again before I picked up the car - they did oil, cabin filter, brake fluid and new front brakes / new battery as part of the certification process (the air filter was done at 45k so it is still clean).

What I forgot to check was when the spark plugs were done, so I called the dealership to ask. They told me that the plugs are 60k regardless of mileage. I checked the maintenance manuals for the '02 (and I checked a couple of later years to see if this was superseeded), and they all say 60k OR 4 YEARS IF EARLIER. I pushed back on the dealership, but they insist that they aren't due for another 10k miles.

I suppose the car rides okay, but admittedly I don't have another 996 around to compare with. However, I think the dealership missed this, and rather than admit to the oversight, they are claiming the plugs are good for another 10k.

What do all of you think? Should I push the dealership on this, or are the plugs still okay? I know this isn't an expensive job, but it just irks me to have to bring the car in and pay for this when all of the maintenance should have been up to date.

What do all of you think? Should I push the dealership on this, or are the plugs still okay? I know this isn't an expensive job, but it just irks me to have to bring the car in and pay for this when all of the maintenance should have been up to date.

It is actually quite a mission to change the sparkplugs on the 996tt and the quote I got for doing this from a dealer was about $1000. I am not sure whether this applies to your C4 but it may explain your dealership's reluctance...

IMO the most important part of the 60K maintenance is changing the spark plugs. Changing the plug is the most difficult and time consuming part. Other than the air filter and pollen filter, which just about anyone can do, the plugs are the only other part that is changed; the rest is inspection. And if they find anything that needs to be replace or repaired it will cost extra on top of the $800 price tag.

Sparks plugs are listed on the Major Maintenance schedule however, Porsche has an “Additional Maintenance” schedule that list spark plugs for 996 MY01 on are to be changed every 60,000 miles or at least every 4 years. Personally I change mine every 15,000 miles. They cost $45 and it takes just an hour or so to do.

Check this link http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...de=maint_us_add

Thanks for all of the replies. My big issue is that the original plugs have been in there for between 5 and 6 years, despite the maintenance schedule saying maximum 4 years.

What's the potential harm if the plugs sit in there too long? Some of the posts in the maintenance DIY section seem to imply that time may be an important factor since no anti-sieze compounds should be used for the plugs on these engines.

Have the car had the 30K service? If so, the plugs were changed.
Probably not if it is a MY02 or newer. They extended the service interval.

Well, I have an 04 and the dealer is insisting on changing plugs at my 30K service. They actually showed a porsche document stating that plugs are indeed to be changed at 30k

• Admin
Probably not if it is a MY02 or newer. They extended the service interval.

Well, I have an 04 and the dealer is insisting on changing plugs at my 30K service. They actually showed a porsche document stating that plugs are indeed to be changed at 30k

Please ask them for a copy - I would like to see it.

We get the same documentation the dealer gets - and ours says 60,000 (for MY01 and newer). Only the MY99 996 and 996 GT3 gets plugs at 30,000 miles.

post-1-1183954718_thumb.png

The car had the 30k, and I confirmed that the plugs weren't changed at that time. My maintenance schedule says 60k or 4 years, whichever is first so they are supposedly due based on time (being 5+ years old).

Edited by High Technology