Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99' 996 Cabrio Top Not Opening

Hi folks,

After having smashed my left side mirror, I asked in the forums where I could purchase one. Loren pointed me in the right direction (thanks so much Loren), and I took the car to a shop that build hot-rods. They did a great job reinstalling the mirror, and repainting the door and front left panels, matching the difficult artic silver paint and all for a fraction of the cost of a paint job at any other shop.

BUT!... the top doesn't want to work now:

- I know they had problems with the sequence of removing the battery and other nuisances that I am quickly learning are particular to the 996 (please keep in mind that I am new to the Porsche world and therefore ignorant myself).

- When I try to open the top, pressing the top down button... the central hook disengages... and the windows go down. But the hood stays in place.

- When I try to "close" the top, the central hook engages... and the windows go DOWN again instead of going UP, if I had pulled them up via the windows' switches. And, the top does not move.

- The "top open" red light on the dashboard is on all the time.

- There is a "clunk" noise when I go though bumps somewhere in the rear somewhere (could it be that there is a piece that pulls from the top and they did not attach it properly, therefore is loose making noise?)

- Before taking the car to a dealer, or reputable mechanic, I wonder if there is anything to look for, and that due to my lack of knowledge I am not aware of.

Any suggestions please?

I would suggest you take it to a dealer and ask for a diagnostic on it. Since you whacked the car, chances are the bracket that holds the motor is broken. If that is the case, will be about $400 (I had the same issue) and your description is similar symptoms. But you can also try to disconnect the battery for 10 mins and reconnect it, make sure you know your radio code. Does the emergency brake light stay on when you actuate the top?

No, the emergency brake does not come on. What you say makes sense. After all, I know the folks that painted the car, did pull the top up manually... who knows how hard they pulled or not.

If you pull on the emergency brake and the emergency brake light does not light up on the dash, you may have a faulty switch to start. They do go bad due to corrossion and it is a cheap part at the dealer. That would be the first thing to do.

Try a search here for "emergency hand brake" or a combinations of those words and it will show up with pictures on how to do it, easy job.

Well... they are family... and to be honest, they did a great job painting the car. It is my fault if any since I shoveled up their throats. They are good, you would recognize them from one of those TV programs..... Besides, with the savings of painting it elsewhere, i can probably replace the whole top too.

When your hotrod breaks, bring it to these guys. When the Porsche breaks, how 'bout bringing to someone who has actually seen a Porsche. Sounds like these clowns have not.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I also have this problem on my 2003 996 C2 CAB. If it makes a whinny intermitant noise and opens and shuts in jumps, then it sounds like a hydraulic problem. A suggestion already made is to check the fluid or look for leaks. You can replace the fluid but there must be a leak somewhere.

I have had mine diagnosed by porsche and need a new Hydraulic Cylinder, where can I find this part and part number please???

Many thanks.