Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I understand that Porsche has fixed RMS leaks at no charge for cars out of warranty. Has anyone had to pay to have one fixed? If so, was there a reason given. Also, how much did it cost?

My '99 has developed a small leak (center of the vehicle, infront of the oil pan) and I wanted to determine worst case scenario before I visit the dealer.

Thanks,

David

Yes I had to pay.

My 996 was weeks out of warranty and the RMS failed.

I had to pay £230 towards costs. The so called Porsche good will

scheme apparently paid the rest. That was last year November (2003).

Since then the RMS failed again. It was fixed 2nd time in Feb.

at no cost.

It has now gone for the 3rd time.....or it was never fixed properly

in the first place. I am getting used to it now though.

I now treat it as a permanent feature of my car. You know,

kinda like the driving wheel or the horn. I have even

begun to brag about it:

Wow dude! look at your Porsche. Is it turbo charged?

.....No. But it does have an RMS leak.

Oh. man that's so cool!

.....Yeah thanks. It drips, like 3 drips of oil on the garage floor each day.

Oh man you'r kidding! I am so envious or your oil dripping Porsche!

.....Thanks for the comliment.

It would be great if we could keep a thread around the treatment that owners got ...or did not get. I wonder if Porsche America would also honor a free repair for folks like myself who bought a 996 which was already out of warranty when it was purchased. In my case ( luckily NO drips at 30,000 miles) , I bough the car only earlier this year. It would be good to find out which Porsche dealers are treating their customers well too. And, in cases where owners contacted PCNA ,who did they get an acceptable response from. ie cutting through the red tape and getting to the guy or gal that make the decision or can make the decision without having to spin the wheels or doing a lot of Sherlock Holmes work to get to the decision maker(s).