Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Third Brake Light is a POS!

First time I've run into something on this car that was poorly made. I've got an '02 C4S, and noted that one or more of the bulbs in the third brake light was out. This is the main 3rd light, not the one in the retractable wing.

Anyway - the owner's manual has full instructions for removing the lens and replacing the bulbs. I take it out to find that the plastic has become incredibly brittle and the sockets for the bulbs (7 of them!) are these mickey-mouse little copper brackets attached to a couple of rails that carry the current. The thing pretty much disintegrated in my hands, and I was being gentle with it.

Looked it up on the price list (996.631.050.00) and it's over $100! Guess I'll put it back together best I can and order a new one from Sunset Porsche.

Not really much point to this post except to rant about the poor quality of the brake light assembly. I realize that plastic gets brittle in the sun and heat, and this part is exposed to a lot of heat from the engine. Usually Porsche takes this kind of thing into account when it designs the parts, but not in this case it would seem.

Buy yourself the LED type. The bulbs wont die, are better performance (brightness) and it is as good quality as the OEM part. Check them out, i got mine from Carnewal, but you do have to change the positive and negative around on the conector that plugs into the light............

Buy the LED from Carnewal.com. Gert is great. If you want my old one, it may be sitting in the garage still (or I may have already trashed the POS). Shoot me a p.m. if you want me to look. Its yours for shipping if its still around.

You're right it's a cheap POS. I opened up my spoiler tail light to check one of the bulbs that wasn't lighting up.

I was extra careful knowing that it could well be disintegrating already,

so, as if I was disarming a bomb...I carefully opened up the casing...

one of the clips started to give, then I looked at the faulty bulb, but everything was good.

I checked the strips of metal for connection issues, the plastic pieces that hold/support the metal slots for the bulbs started breaking!

I was like WTF! So I carefully repositioned everything and back into the casing.

Now all the bulbs work!? Weird...probably just poor connection.

I guess I'll have to look into the LED lights soon, but for now, they still work.

Edited by CosmosC4S