Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will the listed wheels fit a 987S (2006)?

Hi,

I have 19" wheels, and am thinking of going down to 18". This is mostly due to the lure of AutoX and track, understanding that I'll be burning thru tires a lot quicker. I was wondering if the following size will fit my car? The other thing is that these wheels are narrower than mine in the front and wider in the rears. Is that good or bad?

Fronts: Part Number - 993.362.134.05 - 7.5Jx18 - ET50

Rears: Part Number - 993.362.138.00 "B" 993.362.140.01 "A" - 10Jx18 - ET65

My car is:

'06 987S (boxster) w/ PASM

My current wheels are Carrera Sports Design, and from markings on wheels are:

Front 8x19 offset 57

Rear 9.5x19 offset 46

Is there a technique to calculate whether a wheel will fit or not? Additionally, does anyone know the numbers (width, offsets) of the stock wheels for a 987S?

Thanks in advance.

-Akif

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'll gladly trade you my 18" 2006 987S wheels/tires for your 19's. :) They only have 740 miles on them and all four wheels/tires are perfect.

As far as fit, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), the OEM 18's and 19's for our cars are the same width and offset. The only difference is the diameter which is made up for in the size of the tire (so actual total diameter is the same for both). The stock 18's or 19's should swap very easily with no fitment issues. This is exactly shy I'm looking for OEM 19's for a 987 application.

My email is jefjohns4@hotmail.com if you're interested.

thanks..

Edited by MACDADDY_987S

Hey, I'll gladly trade you my 18" 2006 987S wheels/tires for your 19's. :) They only have 740 miles on them and all four wheels/tires are perfect.

Hey Jef,

Replied to your PM before reading this...

Additionally, 3 of my tires are pretty much worn out (down to wear bars), and the fourth is about 5k less (got a flat and replaced it around 6k miles). These days the tires are apparently back ordered from at least TireRack and Costco :o

The front right has a screw in it and needs refilling every couple of days :huh:

In other words, probably not a very good deal for you :P

740 miles? Did you just get the car, or is it a garage queen? Or do you have some other rims on it?

As far as fit, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), the OEM 18's and 19's for our cars are the same width and offset. The only difference is the diameter which is made up for in the size of the tire (so actual total diameter is the same for both). The stock 18's or 19's should swap very easily with no fitment issues. This is exactly shy I'm looking for OEM 19's for a 987 application.

I believe you're absolutely correct. I think the width is a little different between the 18 and the 19s, but since both are OEM for Boxsters, there wouldn't be any fitting issues.

My original question was re: 993 (I think) turbo wheels that are wider for the rear, and with that particular offset would need spacers.

-Akif

• 5 months later...

The wheels you listed will NOT be legal for SCCA stock class autocross as they were not available for that car from 2005+. Instead you want the Boxster S wheel 2005+ or the Cayman S wheel. They are 18x8 front and 18x9 rear. I think the offsets are 52 front 43 rear but that's just from memory (someone correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Alan

• 1 month later...
Akif,

Forgive me for my ignorance but what is the advantage of the 18" wheel vs. the 19" wheel? Seems you would get more performance from the larger wheel.

thanks

Mitch

There is a common misconception in the general public that bigger wheels = better handling. Here's where the misconception comes from:

1) People see race cars and they have big wheels. There is only one reason race cars have big wheels - so they can fit big brakes. Otherwise they want as small a wheel as the rules allow. Small wheels weigh less and have lower rotational inertia. Since wheels and tires are part of unsprung weight lightening them is roughly 4 times more important than lightening the car's body or engine.

2) Aftermarket tire resellers and car magazines have pushed the idea of plus sizing. The concept is that we can keep the tire outside diameter the same but decrease the sidewall height by going to a larger inside diameter. Since sidewall flex increases roughly by the square of sidewall height, and flex decreases transitional handling, mags have equated bigger wheels with better handling.

The reality is that for you want the smallest diameter wheel you can get without giving up sidewall stiffness. Probably a 45 profile tire is about as stiff as you need for the street.

Akif,

Forgive me for my ignorance but what is the advantage of the 18" wheel vs. the 19" wheel? Seems you would get more performance from the larger wheel.

thanks

Mitch

There is a common misconception in the general public that bigger wheels = better handling. Here's where the misconception comes from:

1) People see race cars and they have big wheels. There is only one reason race cars have big wheels - so they can fit big brakes. Otherwise they want as small a wheel as the rules allow. Small wheels weigh less and have lower rotational inertia. Since wheels and tires are part of unsprung weight lightening them is roughly 4 times more important than lightening the car's body or engine.

2) Aftermarket tire resellers and car magazines have pushed the idea of plus sizing. The concept is that we can keep the tire outside diameter the same but decrease the sidewall height by going to a larger inside diameter. Since sidewall flex increases roughly by the square of sidewall height, and flex decreases transitional handling, mags have equated bigger wheels with better handling.

The reality is that for you want the smallest diameter wheel you can get without giving up sidewall stiffness. Probably a 45 profile tire is about as stiff as you need for the street.