Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Quick (and possibly stupid) oil question

So I bought my car a few months ago and it is starting to get low on oil.

So here's the question/concern:

I never had this problem in the Evo because only Mobil 1 10w30 fully synthetic (w/ the green cap! haha) was supposed to be used, and was labeled on the oil cap...

With this car, I have no idea what is in it. I'm almost 90% sure that its 10w30 only because at least 90% of the places around put that in the cars. And it needs probably about a quart of oil right now, and there's my first DE in it on Sunday...

I have a big jug of 10w30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic from the Evo days (turbos + high altitude = oil loss, plus it was Mitsubishi quality)... If I use that will I have problems? I'd love for the answer to be that it'll be 100% fine, but I've heard/read that mixing everything but different brands can cause problems.

What do you all think?

Porsche's 'approved' oil and used by most is Mobil 1. For my car (996TT) 0W40 or 5W40 is recommended (dealer fill is 5W40). In all honesty, surely if you need a top up desperately adding a slightly different weight oil isnt going to be a problem........ Do you have your owners manual?? It tells you in there the oil weights for your car.

UT, sounds like you are used to dealing with oil changes. If you think it is 10-30 in there now, I would go buy 9 quarts of 0-40 (mobil 1), drain the oil, drain the filter, refill. Will cost you max $6X9, and you have piece of mind.

To change the oil, look at the DIY section for step by step instructions. And do a search for "ramp" if you need to raise the rear of the car to get to the oil plug. Some members don't need to do that, I have to get clearance for my "lower chest".

it is starting to get low on oil.

Get used to it, boxer type engines use more oil than "V" or inline engine layouts. You may need to add several quarts between changes- and it's all perfectly "normal" according to Dr.P.

Stick pretty close to the factory recommended viscosity ratings as the oil has more functions than just lubrication (i.e. variocam). Don't use the "more is better" formula either. Late model Porsche's don't like 15W-50 or 10W-60. The most recent factory recomendations are backwards compatible to previous model years.

Don't try to stretch your $$ with something as cheap as an oil change (especially if you do it yourself).

Regards,

BD

Hi,

The car holds 9 quarts so a little of some close

weight should not make to big a difference. After your DE, you should change the oil

and look at the color of the old oil. Order your filter thru Sunset Imports for

the best price.

Paul

Thanks guys. I forgot about the Porsche ~9 qt oil usage... Being 1 qt low/1 qt of a different kind of oil isn't quite as bad... (It does have a factory wet oil sump system built in, right? Or does it really just have a huge oil pan?

Fastboy: It does say the weights, but I dunno about your manual but mine has about 15-20 different weights listed... Hence the question.

So if I top it off (maybe not even all the way, just like half of what's missing...) with Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 10w30 it should be totally fine?

I don't have time to go get 0w40 or even go get an oil change... Saturday I have time but not no shop is open by the time I have... Time

Boston: If this is normal than I am 100% happy, and way past used to it... I did oil changes every 3000 miles on the Evo, and it would need at least 1 qt more between, sometimes 2... As a matter of fact, if it weren't for the fact that I have no idea what kind of oil is in it now I would already have topped it off.