Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

When it is time for new tires (sooner than I would like) I plan on upgrading from the base 17" Boxster S wheels to 18's or 19's. Of course 19's look better, but I don't want to sacrifice ride (too much) and handling (want to improve, if anything). So, do I play it safe with 18's or go to 19's? (18's were an option in '01.) Anyone have experience (good or bad) with 19's?

Also, what about manufacturers? OEM Porsche wheels are expensive new and there are a couple of companies selling Italian copies of Porsche Carrera wheels (both 18" and 19") on eBay. Any experience out there on these? Finally, any experience with "Ruger" brand wheels? They look great and supposedly Ruger only makes Porsche wheels.

I have a wheel and tire fetish (OK, now you know more about me than you should) and I upgrade the wheels/tires on everything I drive. I just want to make sure I UPGRADE when I make a change.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
When it is time for new tires (sooner than I would like) I plan on upgrading from the base 17" Boxster S wheels to 18's or 19's. Of course 19's look better, but I don't want to sacrifice ride (too much) and handling (want to improve, if anything). So, do I play it safe with 18's or go to 19's? (18's were an option in '01.) Anyone have experience (good or bad) with 19's?

Also, what about manufacturers? OEM Porsche wheels are expensive new and there are a couple of companies selling Italian copies of Porsche Carrera wheels (both 18" and 19") on eBay. Any experience out there on these? Finally, any experience with "Ruger" brand wheels? They look great and supposedly Ruger only makes Porsche wheels.

I have a wheel and tire fetish (OK, now you know more about me than you should) and I upgrade the wheels/tires on everything I drive. I just want to make sure I UPGRADE when I make a change.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Alan

OK, according the the tech expert at pca:"Porsche did not approve 19" wheels for use on the Boxsters until 2005. This was do to suspension strengthening according to Porsche." - (I don't really see that the suspension needs to be "strengthened" for 19" wheels other than perhaps due to higher impact loading due to reduced sidewall flex.) Comments?

Alan

Edited by Alan 01 Boxster S

• Moderators

19" wheels are an aesthetic modification. If you like the look of your car with 19's, I say "go for it". I would suspect however that ride quality will suffer because of the ultra low sidewall height. Porsche increased the rolling circumference of the 987/997 models to allow 19" wheels with reasonable sidewall height.

I'd guess the reason for the suspension "strengthening" is a combination of a heavier wheel, higher rotational inertia and increased impact loads due to the shorter/stiffer sidewall.

Good luck

19" wheels are an aesthetic modification. If you like the look of your car with 19's, I say "go for it". I would suspect however that ride quality will suffer because of the ultra low sidewall height. Porsche increased the rolling circumference of the 987/997 models to allow 19" wheels with reasonable sidewall height.

I'd guess the reason for the suspension "strengthening" is a combination of a heavier wheel, higher rotational inertia and increased impact loads due to the shorter/stiffer sidewall.

Good luck

Well, 19's definitely win on looks, but my previous toy was a Miata with 17's (14's standard), Jackson Racing anti-sway bars, and HD struts. It would pull 1.03 g's but I clinched everything up before every bump that I couldn't dodge. I may stay with 18's (optional factory size) to make sure I don't jeopardize ride or handling this time.

Thanks for the input.

• 3 months later...