Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Nose Bra Installation

Apologies if this has been covered earlier -- several searches didn't get me what I needed.

I have a nose bra for the boxster, the kind that goes over the lights. Toolpants showed me where the clips need to go in the trunk (to which the second/lower half of the bra is attached). However, I am unable to get those bolts to open up using the torx screw. I don't want to use excessive force, as a slip could result in a scratch on the paint. Further investigation online revealed something called a "liquid wrench" -- essentially a liquid that loosens up rusted/corroded bolts.

What I want to know is :

* Is there any reasonably easy way (other than liquid wrench) to open the bolts?

* Is there any harm in using the liquid wrench? (cosmetic or otherwise)

** If you have used liquid wrench, which local store is it available at? (I tried the websites for autozone, kragen etc. with no luck).

* If you have done this before, are comfortable doing this and are in/around south san jose, I'll happily drive over and buy you coffee for helping me with this.

Thanks all!

V

• Moderators

You need to remove 2 fender screws. These screws have a large head, with cutting "teeth" on the back of the head. A lubricant is not going to help remove the screws. The proper tool and brute force is the key if your screws are on tight. I use a ratchet wrench with a good quality torx bit. But then, sometimes the screws are not too tight.

Guess you were able to get the bra clips from Colgan.

Some very old pictures.

post-4-1189069795_thumb.jpg

post-4-1189069833_thumb.jpg

You need to remove 2 fender screws. These screws have a large head, with cutting "teeth" on the back of the head. A lubricant is not going to help remove the screws. The proper tool and brute force is the key if your screws are on tight. I use a ratchet wrench with a good quality torx bit. But then, sometimes the screws are not too tight.

Guess you were able to get the bra clips from Colgan.

Some very old pictures.

Thanks for the pics Jeff. Yeah, those screws are the ones I'm having trouble with. I did get the proper torx bit (came with the clips from Colgan), but also didn't use too much force. I'll check my toolbox to see if I have something that will attach to the torx bit and make it an easier job. If that doesn't work, guess I'll either take it in to a local shop or just wait for the next 'work on cars' day :). Thanks again.

• Moderators

Watch out if you are using a crappy Torx tool if the screws are real tight.

The L-shaped one came with my bra, so I guess Colgan sent you the same thing. One screw was so tight I bent the L-shaped tool. Then I used a Torx bit (made in Taiwan) on my ratchet wrench and bent the bit. By that time I had chewed up the head of the screw.

To make a long story short my friend (owns a body shop) used a snap-on bit and got it out. The other side was not tight and I got it out with the L-shaped tool.

I then bought a set of Made in the USA Torx bits. If you want to stop by my office I can give it a try.

The L-shaped one came with my bra, so I guess Colgan sent you the same thing. One screw was so tight I bent the L-shaped tool. Then I used a Torx bit (made in Taiwan) on my ratchet wrench and bent the bit. By that time I had chewed up the head of the screw.

To make a long story short my friend (owns a body shop) used a snap-on bit and got it out. The other side was not tight and I got it out with the L-shaped tool.

I then bought a set of Made in the USA Torx bits. If you want to stop by my office I can give it a try.

Jeff,

You are right -- I was using the Torx bit sent by Colgan. Both my screws appear to be pretty tight.

I sent you a PM with my ph etc. I'm planning to give it another shot with a toolbox, but don't expect much, so any help from your side will be appreciated. Let me know where your off is and what time is good for you and I'll stop by. Thanks!

Edited by vbhagwan

TP, let me know if you have any time this week -- I tried opening the screws over the weekend, and ended up with a couple of scratches (thankfully only on the inside). Thanks!

• 9 months later...

I have the same bra that goes over the lights and am facing the same tight torx screw on the passenger side of the car. The driver's side screw came off without any major effort.

I tried to unscrew the darn thing using both the L-shape tool that came with the bra kit as well as my own torx bit. Unfortunately, the head of the screw is now stripped. :oops: The hole looks more like a hexagonal head screw instead of the torx scree with "teeth". As someone mentioned above, I tried to spray WD40 on the thing, let it sit for several hours, but still this won't work (usual work for other tight screw situations that I've encountered). Why the heck does Porsche wants to screw the thing so darn tight and also use crappy screw that strips so easily?!? :angry:

Does anyone know how to remove this screw now that the hole in the head is stripped? :help:

• Moderators

I know how to remove the fender screws. Take it to any body shop, then give the guy a 12 pack of Dos Equis if he gets the screw out.

As stated earlier putting a lubricant on the threads is not going to do anything. Jonas and Hans must put the fenders on with an air tool for the screws. One of them was stronger then the other.

Just don't do what I did. I drilled a hole in the middle of the screw for an easy-out, then when I tried to back the screw out with a cresent wrench on the easy-out the easy-out broke. Then I had a rounded torx screw recess and a broken off easy-out in the middle. Thank god the broken easy-out was flush with the recess.

I know how to remove the fender screws. Take it to any body shop, then give the guy a 12 pack of Dos Equis if he gets the screw out.

LOL! =D Thanks for the advice, Tool Pants. Now I know why I am not getting exceptional and expedited services from all the shops I'd visited! I was missing the 12 pack of Dos Equis!

I went to Home Depot last week and explain my situation to them. They lead me to the drill head section and showed me something similar to your description of easy-out where you drill into the broken screw and try to remove it using a wrench. I was very close to purchasing the tool but was hesistant whether it'll work. From your experience, I guess I made the right decision to try something else.

Edited by mcluucy