Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fixing My Cont Top

Hi I'm new to this forum. Tool Pants recommended it. I'm trying to fix my top by myself after the $2k estimate by the dealer. All the parts needed for fixing my top will be here this week (rods, transmossions,etc). All the parts cost me about $450. I will update this thread as I go along. But I have a couple questions: my Top Compartment/Cover is a little bit misaligned:

It should look like this:

post-46-1080159978_thumb.jpg

I tried loosening up the cover and moving it to the left but that did little. The end of the cover is touching the top. I noticed that when I move the cover up and down, it moves correctly except when it almost reachs the down position, it moves to the right a bit.

One more thing, is the gasket at the lower top look like this?

I ordered a new one anyway just in case:

post-46-1080160338_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

This is the car we want to film for a DVD.

What is the history/story to date. I see what looks like old parts already out of the car - then a bag of new parts. All I know is that you bought a used 1997. The picture with the 2 transmissions and motor on the floor - are those the orignials which have been removed?

Have to wake up Mark for this one. :o

Actually the old looking parts are the "new" ones. They came off a 1998. They work fine according to the seller. One of my motors is broken, when I move the V-lever it is loose. It looks like the gears are stripped or something. I might as well replace both motors anyway but I'll see. I got a good deal on both transmissions and the motor ($250). I will start working on it tomorrow. I was looking at the motor today just to get a rough idea on how to remove it. I removed the plastic bolts, but it was still kind of stuck in there. Are there any other bolts?

You are right Tool Pants, I'm going to do a Top hip transplant :). I will take as many pictures as possible.

Hey TP,

Sorry, been busy. I was out of town last weekend so I wasn't able to work on cars.

Is Alienz local? If he is, tell me when you want to film the process.

So Alienz.. what did you buy? 450 sounds a littlesteep. The parts when I did mine cost $150. But if you bought a transmission($400 each) and a motor($150), $450 is a really good price!

Make sure that the black joint is snapped firmly in place, this might be causing your alignment issue. Also check the red joint.

So, when do we work on cars?

The used transmissions and motor I bought for $250, the other new parts cost me $127. So cost me about $377 not $450 actually. It's going to be a pain in the *** I can tell. But I love working on the car.

• Moderators

This is going to be hard to fix over the internet.

There are 2 transmissions and 1 electric motor that operates the transmissions via cables. Other than the fact the clam shell is off-centered what is in your car now. Lift up the calm shell cover and show us some decent pictures.

Your "motor" is apparently a transmission. Do not understand a "loose V-lever." It might have just run off the gear. Why are you replacing the transmissions?

Why is the top not working to begin with?

I can't help just by showing me 2 pictures of top parts. You need to detail what you have. Why it does not work, or what oem parts do or do not work. Does your oem top motor make a noise when you push the button with your brake lever up and the key on - brake warning light on when the car is running?

post-46-1080262612_thumb.jpg

I'm new registerant Golfhom. I live in Burlingame, CA. I have a 1998 Boxster in a San Francisco shop name Aldo's Performance for an estimate to fix my top. I was lowering it as normally, the clamshell liftup, the top won't go down. Yes I've released the catches. I kept pressing the switch but the clamshell went back down and nothing happens. I did not hear any loud noises. Further attemp I just hear the motor noise. The windows use to drop half way when top was working. Not now. From the posting it seems complicated. I might try it when I was younger, now as a senior, don't like to work in tight places.

Any advice would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

You have a problem child. I can tell you manually raise and lower your top from the last 2 pictures. Everything has been disconnected. You do not break the V lever unless someone has pried against it to pop off the ball joint for the black push rod that goes to the clamshell.

Start driving out the West since it looks like we may see and film a top fix on golfhom car.

Do not know why you bought used 1998 transmissions or a top motor. They are the same for 1997-1999. What do you think is broken? Does the top electric motor work? You need to address the cables. What is wrong with your top transmissions?

post-46-1080513690_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I'm free the 4th of April and the 17th or 18th. I'd love to look at Golfhom's car. Although his problem sounds like a different problem since he mentioned that the windows will not lower now. I guess we'll find out when we see it.

TP, Let me know if any of these dates will work for you.

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

After 6 hours of installing the newer transmissions and motor (from a 1998) and timing it, I finally got my to fixed! The timing was the hardest part. I don't know how to do it but my friend has mastered it, he can do it in less than 5 mins. BUt there is one problem (I'm not sure if it's even a promlem). When I put the top, every thing works perfect. But when I go up I hear some weird noises, sometimes 3 pops others are 2. I put the top in service position and observed the transmissions on their way down, after they reach the end they go further streching the strut. But then after about an inch of streching, the RV lever snaps back a tooth (on both sides one after another) then the mechanism stops.

I figure this can damage the teeth in the transmissions on the long run. Any ideas why this is happening? Is it not timed right?

I didn't inspect them but they look fine to me. When I put the top down, the transmissions strech the strutsand seal the top compartment properly. But when I put the top back up, the trans' try to pull the struts down to seal the compartment but then I hear this pop and the V-lever snapping back once or twice, sometimes three times before the cycle ends. We think that there are no enough teeth at the end of the cycle which can explain why it snaps back. How do I give it more teeth?