Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door sensor

Hello all

I have a 2000 Boxster that the driver's side door acts like the car thinks it's open all the time. Is there a sensor or switch that can go out/be replaced? There isn't an obvious old-school plunger type visible. Any ideas?

Andy

Not from me, been curiouse myself

PK

The switch is in the "stricker" assembly. If you put your finger in the stiker claw and move it up (door open) two clicks you'll see your window go back up to the seal position. Make sure you lift the door handle again before you close the door to reopen the stricker lock, or you'll have a rude awakening of window on frame!

Andy,

I think you need to give us some more info then "it thinks". What is the specific symptom.

Lights stay on?

Locks will not open?

Window doesn't auto drop or doesn't auto go back up?

What acutually does happen (or not) when you push the lock catch in all the way (with the door open)?

Does the light go on after the time delay?

New car to you? Wrecked? That tells if something was hardwired wrong...

Lots of stuff to give us specifics on and then the exerts can start determining the cause of the issues.

To my knowledge the car has never been wrecked. These problems are new, not inherited with the car. I have owned it for about 9 months.

The interior lights on doors, and overhead as well as the instrument cluster stay on no matter what position the door and or lock mechanism is in. The instrument cluster lights time out after a few minutes, and go off. Not like the fade out of lights and stereo when you normally exit the car. Door closed, door open, latch open, latch closed, car running, not running, it's always the same, the interior lights stay on, the car will not lock, and the driver's side window will not go all the way up.

The windows will go up and down with interior rockers, however, the driver's side will not go into fully closed position with top up. Both windows auto drop when putting the top down. The pasenger window does the short auto drop to open the door with top up, but the driver's side does not because it is already in the short auto drop position as it's highest level.

The car will not lock. When I try to lock it using the key remote it gives me a beep indicationg that a door is open. When I insert the key into the lock and turn clockwise, it gives the same beep. The rocker switch on dash does nothing. No light or locking of doors.

Can operate the window down/unlock function with the key in door, but not window up/lock. (Gives beep)

The doors never lock, which seems like there is a sensor telling the car that there is a door open even though they are shut. According to the manual, the car will not lock if there is a door or trunk lid open.

That's the bes I can describe what's going on.

Andy

Andy,

You nailed great information for all to help as I have not specific experience with this.

I would definitely test the switch located in the door catch mechanism. Pulling the door open is easy, but you better have a Bentley. If you don't have the Bentley you are breaking the 2nd rule of owning a Boxster! The first is belonging to Renntech, so good job on #1.

I really think all these items are related because one can replicate about everything with a door open! There is a chance the window drop down function could because of frayed cables (very common failure trend) but I wouldn't suspect that until you get your switch tested out. Did all this start at the exact same time?

Lastly, My in a 1997 so I don't know if and when they added the windows being able to be put down from the door lock. This sounds like one of the after market modules on the market. Maybe someone could set me straight but if it is a module (and a bad one), maybe it is causing the issue!

Shawn

Ahh, Bentley?

not to sound dumb, but what is it?

The Bentley is the best automotive DIY repair manuals out there. Sometimes they are just good and sometimes they are great. The Porsche line is great, You can find it used on amazon or such for $50, new I believe is about $90. I always make the comment that nobody should even unscrew their oil drain plug w/o a Bentley in their hand. Always avoid the online and DVD and get the real book in your hand.

Combine the Bentley, with the Porsche tech manuals (can be found illegually hacked on the net) combined with this site and a hammer, you are good to go.

This list will always put you on the right track for common failure trend and shortcuts to procedures but the Bentley is invaluable to an owner. Now if you are not going to do your own work ever and drive it straight to the Porsche dealer then you'll do fine w/o!

Just google it.

I have tried moving the latch manually, but no luck. The interior lights stay on as well as the dash cluster, and it also won't let me set the alarm. The window works, but doesn't go all the way up to the fully cosed position. It seems like the door sensor is stuck in the open position.

??

Andy

Andy,

What happens on the other side when you push in the striker? If you switch is bad it should most likely on affect one side. And are you sure you are getting the striker claw fully closed? Some times they click once and then push a little more for a true locking.

Shawn

Been out of town for a few days.

tried the passenger door. After the car times out, and all lights are shut off, I opened the passenger side door and the lights come back on. They don't come on if you open the drivers door after it times out, only after you start it. It times out after it sits over night basically. I think the car has a timer that shuts it down so it doesn't drain the battery if you happen to leave a door or tunk open. I also checked the rear trunck by manually moving the latch, and that sensor is fine.

I'm pretty sure that it's the driver's side sensor, but havn't found any good how to change out yet.

Andy

Been out of town for a few days.

tried the passenger door. After the car times out, and all lights are shut off, I opened the passenger side door and the lights come back on. They don't come on if you open the drivers door after it times out, only after you start it. It times out after it sits over night basically. I think the car has a timer that shuts it down so it doesn't drain the battery if you happen to leave a door or tunk open. I also checked the rear trunck by manually moving the latch, and that sensor is fine.

I'm pretty sure that it's the driver's side sensor, but havn't found any good how to change out yet.

Andy

Good info Andy, as you said it looks like the driver door sensor. So that is 1/2 the battle. You now need the knowledge (and desire) to pull the door apart to find the sensor. although I never found much in the Bentley on the door sensor itself the Bentley very well documents getting the door apart. It's very easy on the boxster and well documented on this site somewhere by those fixing the common window drop problem (cable fray).

If you are a DIY then you need to test that switch and the only way to get to the switch is most likly going to be through the inner door panel. Do some research on the door panel, grab your mulit-tester and get to it.

Edited by rsfeller

• 11 years later...

I know this is an ancient thread, but I'm trying to track down a voltage drain.  My multimeter is showing a 400 milliamp drain.  I need to start pulling fuses to isolate the issue and need to fool the 2001 Boxster into thinking the door is closed so I can get to the fuses. Will the above method with the latch turning off the door light shut everything down as if the car is closed, like it is overnight when the battery is running down?