Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

BCM Filter VS EVO V-Flow filter

Would like some feedback regarding these both filters for my 987 Boxster, which filter do you think would be a better filter to use. The BMC air filter or the EVO V-Flow. One is certainly more expensive than the outher and will it make a big difference.

Now I have read some comments, that if you replace the original filter you have to have the ecu tuning as well. Is this true? also heard from one of the dealers and they say it will not effect the air to gas ratio and you don't need the tuning. is this true?

I would like to know who is telling the truth and will there be any problems after long term use with either of these products.

I read on one of the forums that if you change your filter and do nothing else it can damage your engine over long term use. Can anybody substantiate with documentation as to this fact or a good site were I can get this info.

I know that Porsche makes good products for there vehicle ,but when it come to racing Farrari and Porsche seem to use theses products as I would think that they are of higher quility. Not trying to cause a debate just merely wanting the true facts.

thanks everyone as I await your comments.

secuuda

Edited by secuuda

Changing the air filter will not give any significant power increases because the ECU can only overfuel by a certain amount. so even if there were no inlet restrictions (ie no filter) you wouldn't get any more gain. The pick up of the engine may be slightly quicker and its true you may get more induction noise, but you also have the risk of the oiled filter element letting oil onto the MAF which may cause measurement errors and problems later on. TBH its more of a cosmetic mod than a performance one , and the quoted 2-3 HP gain is only likely to be at peak power rather than consistently across the range. If you genuinely want more power then an ECU reflash is probably going to give the best results for the money, these usually come with a new (performance) filter element as part of the package.

If you start to de snorkel and fit hi flow elements you can get to the point where there is too much air and you run lean on mixture , so getting less performance. The snorkel not only prevents water and debris entering the intake it also ensures a consistent amount of air regardless of speed. Remove the snorkel and you risk getting more ram air effect , so overloading the fuelling which cannot keep up at higher speeds. You don't notice this when the car is on the rolling road dyno because the car obviously isnt moving. i think this is why a 2-3 hp gain can be seen on the dyno because the lower intake resistance is really only going to be seen beneficially when the car is stationary on a rolling road.

For a cheap mod to give better sound , just slide the sleeve on the rear muffler between the two boxes slightly to one side.

Thanks berty987 I appreciate what your are saying. I am looking at doing an ecu remap along with header with cats. I dont plan to desnorkle but I am going to change to the cayman vents and remove the restrictor plate.

Have you had in experience with either BMC or V-fow filters. I think I am leaning towards the BMC as from what I have heard I don't have to do the ECU remap right away and the engine will run fine regardless if I do the upgrades.

I am also looking at the Cargraphic headers with cats Vs the Fabspeed header with cats. these upgrade will come gradaully

After inspection of both headers I am wondering if the cats with the 200 cell are the same supplier as they look pretty identical.

with all the different products out there it is sometime hard to realy know who to go with, such a lot of big claims.

again thanks and much appreciated

secuuda

I've looked into this myself regarding tuning the 987 s engine. Problem seems to be that the exhaust and headers really need to be matched for optimum gas flow (standard 987 s headers are already better flowed than the 2.7), so personally i'd buy the complete system from one supplier. As to the ECU , again the best approach is to have it bespoke tuned based on the characteristics of the headers , exhaust and way the engine is running. Buying a generic ECU remap may not be the best course of action unless its designed to worth with an exhaust upgrade (as in the case of the techart and speedart upgrade packages). Techart claim about 325 bhp i beleive from the complete package which incidentally uses the BMI air filter. 9FF also offer a complete package and can go slightly higher in red line and output due to replaced cams. If you are intent on changing the exhuast, i'd do this before the remap of the ECU.

Hay Berty987 After talking to a few of the product producers I am thinking on going with Cargraphic headers and cats but I do want to keep my original mufflers Also hoping Ithey come down in price.

I did have the owner from cargraphic send me an email and gave me a price of $3100. for the sport headers with cats. I would like to see them arround $2200 to $2500 with Fabspeed they actauly show a price of $4400. on there site.

Like you said I wan't do the ECU until I do the exhaust system.

I am goingt to cut the tubing on the factury mufflers right at the cat intake and run the same size tubing 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 from the cargraphic headers if thats what I will go with ,which will increase air flow to the standard exhaust .if you look at the cat intake it actully is larger to run the smaller tubing, so as it is cut it will open to a larger diamiter tubing.

I don.t think any one has tried this as yet.

As I Have a lttle engineering under my belt I think this will give me what I want.

I like the original sound of the boxster so I am not trying to change that at all and I am also wanting to have all for cats especially here in Canada.

By the way I think I am going with the BMC F1 Filter, also less money than EVO whay less. that one down and I thing the ECU tuning is a given when I put on the headers.

Berty987 Have you read much on Cargraphic headers. I was all set to purchase the Fabspeed as I have seen a few of ther videos and they advertise a fair amount in the Excellence magazine and read a few testimonies and also a few forums.

well right know I am assured of two out of three things which I will do and when I get it all to gether I will let you know how it works.

secuuda

• 5 months later...

Regarding the headers, most companies seem to offer tuned equal length extractor pipes combining to a single point , upstream of the first cat. From what I've read this reduces the burble from the exhaust and gives a more even note. I understand the thought process about keeping the rear silencer, this will impair the potential performance of the system but not to a significant amount as the rear silencers are not that restrictive compared to the cats. Personally in your position i would consider the Strosek or OEM PSE exhaust , which allows a more sporty sound that can be turned on an off at the flick of a switch. For an idea of cost versus performance gain take a look at the speedart and techart tuning pages. They offer ECU + air filter and ECU + Air filter + full exhaust options. This way you can compare performance for just the ECU and filter , versus a full system with ECU and filter.

Regarding the cheap mod to the rear sleeve, its a simple job of loosening the upper of the two connecting sleeves that go between the two silencers. Then slide the sleeve over so that there is a small gap , 2mm is sufficient. Opening the gap further gives no improvement , just more boom at 2000 rpm on the motorway. A word of caution on this mod, make sure you put it back before getting an MOT , as the extra air drawn into the system by the break will upset the lamda measurement which is taken at the exhaust outlet. It will not effect the engine management lamda measurement as this is done either side of the primary cats way upstream of this mod.

Regarding the headers, most companies seem to offer tuned equal length extractor pipes combining to a single point , upstream of the first cat. From what I've read this reduces the burble from the exhaust and gives a more even note. I understand the thought process about keeping the rear silencer, this will impair the potential performance of the system but not to a significant amount as the rear silencers are not that restrictive compared to the cats. Personally in your position i would consider the Strosek or OEM PSE exhaust , which allows a more sporty sound that can be turned on an off at the flick of a switch. For an idea of cost versus performance gain take a look at the speedart and techart tuning pages. They offer ECU + air filter and ECU + Air filter + full exhaust options. This way you can compare performance for just the ECU and filter , versus a full system with ECU and filter.

Regarding the cheap mod to the rear sleeve, its a simple job of loosening the upper of the two connecting sleeves that go between the two silencers. Then slide the sleeve over so that there is a small gap , 2mm is sufficient. Opening the gap further gives no improvement , just more boom at 2000 rpm on the motorway. A word of caution on this mod, make sure you put it back before getting an MOT , as the extra air drawn into the system by the break will upset the lamda measurement which is taken at the exhaust outlet. It will not effect the engine management lamda measurement as this is done either side of the primary cats way upstream of this mod.

Thanks for this. Any chance of a photo showing the location. I'm completely new to Porsche!

Cheers

CJP