Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mirror/visor Problem

This morning, in a fit of extreme stupidity, I thought I'd try my hand at removing the airbag sitckers on my visors with denatured alcohol. I first tried to remove the stickers on top of the mirror covers (I have illuminated mirrors). The stickers came off, but I was left with what looked like a red, white, and yellow mural. So, at this point I'm in for new mirror covers.

Then I read on another Board that you have to buy the whole insert. So, I thought I'd pry the insert out. Of course, in the process I broke two of the plastic tabs off that hold the clip that keeps the mirror cover up. So now I have two mirror covers that look like crap and one mirror cover that will no longer stay up.

What are my options here? I don't think I can just buy inserts, since I have illuminated mirrors and the inserts are wired to the visor. So, I guess I'm looking at two new visor assemblies? Does anyone have any idea what that's going to cost? I'm guessing I'm in for several hundred dollars at this point, and I'm just so pissed off that I screwed with it in the first place.

For anyone contemplating trying to remove your airbag stickers, DON'T.

My car came with a card for the airbag info :) All I needed to do was remove the card from the visor. Im surprised it is stuck on the visor in the US. Try looking on carnewal.com for prices on new visors.

I tried the denatured alcohol removal on an old broken off mirror cover and used a soft toothbrush with denatured alcohol to to avail. I also wound up with a mess. Luckily it was on test piece. Maybe the sticker come off better when they are new and haven't been exposed to lots of sunlight and heat.

If you really want to cover them up do what I did. I got some black contact paper from Michael's art supply. I cut out pieces to the shape of the decal and slapped them on. It's not the most permanent or elegant solution but it covers up the airbag stickers.

Arthur K: Unfortunately here in the litigious US of A, the SRS stickers are painted on the mirror covers. It's stupid, I know. Heck, if a fat person can sue, unsuccessfully, Mc Donald's for making him/her fat, why not sue Porsche for not warning them about airbags not working in lieu of seatbelts?