Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Audio upgrade with stock radio?

I want to upgrate my audio system (mostly for better quality bass) in my '99 C2 Cabriolet. I am not looking for a loud, license plate rattling bass, but something that will not get distorted when I am driving with the top down at 30 MPH (like it does now)

I have searched through most of the forums and can't seem to find any solutions. I have the CDR-220 head unit. Is it possible to keep this head unit and replace the speakers in the factory grilles and get a noticeable improvement? If so, what speakers should I replace, what size are they, and what brand is recommended?

Thanks in advance

I want to upgrate my audio system (mostly for better quality bass) in my '99 C2 Cabriolet. I am not looking for a loud, license plate rattling bass, but something that will not get distorted when I am driving with the top down at 30 MPH (like it does now)

I have searched through most of the forums and can't seem to find any solutions. I have the CDR-220 head unit. Is it possible to keep this head unit and replace the speakers in the factory grilles and get a noticeable improvement? If so, what speakers should I replace, what size are they, and what brand is recommended?

Thanks in advance

Check this out - Audio Upgrade forum

Hope it helps,

Gustavo

Sure it is and if you search here and on other sites like rennlist and 6speedonline you will find lots of threads on this. This is where I found most of the info so you need to search further. That being said I can tell you what I did on my 2000 C4 cab which had the HiFi upgrade to start with (i.e. door speaker location). I started with focal 100 KP in the dash, they will fit with some modification, you use the frames from the mids to secure the new mids, and silicone the tweeters in place. Again there are many details and pictures on how to do this if you search. With is set up you will need to run new wires from the amp to the crossovers, which I mounted in the trunk, and them two sets of wires to the dash. Then I added mids from a set of Focal 136KP in the doors to replace the factory "subs." This with the stock amp and head unit made a great improvement, you could actually turn the volume up without great distortion and could hear the music with the top down. However, the stock amp is pretty weak and the mids were not true subs.

The next step was to replace the mids I put in the doors with true subs, a set of Focal 5WS. These are 5.25 inch so they fit easliy in the doors, just a little bit more dremeling than the mids I put in. The difference between the mids and true subs was very noticable. Unfortunately, the 5WS are made any longer, sometimes you can find a set on Ebay, this is where I got mine, or Focal makes a newer model line of 5.25 inch subs. Also some have fit 6 inch subs in the doors with some further midification. With any 5" or 6" sub you are not going to get head throbbing base, but I certainly did not want that, and the set up I have is much better than stock.

At this time I also added a JL Audio 6 channel amp which made an incredible difference. It is a 450 watt amp which you really need to power the speakers without distortion at higher volumes.

Finally I replace the rear speakers with a set of Focal 100 slim lines. These made the least difference at the rear are mostly infill, but still have an impact.

Focals are great, but expensive. Some use MB Quarts and other lines of speakers.

I still have the stock head unitand CD player (both the CDR220 and the 6 cd changer in the trunk). I can tell you that it is much better playing a CD from either source than it is with the radio, but both sound great and are much improved from the stock speakers and amp. You can put in the beast head unit in the world and if you keep the stock speakers is will still sound like crap. I better head unit would probably be even better, but I like the stock look.

You can also check out Rod at www.caraudioinnovations.com. He specializes in Porsches and will do the work or sell you a whole set up with instructions. Depends on your budget and how capable you are.

Edited by Dharn55