Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1985.5 dme application

I have recently acquired a non-running 1985.5 NA 944. The DME has been removed and I have been told that it is bad. However, the one that was sitting in the passenger seat appears to have come from a junkyard. I am not sure if it is the correct/original one or not. I have searched and searched for dome way to cross-reference applications and cannot find a thing. The number on the DME I have is 944.618.121.02 Also this car is an automatic trans and I am not sure if this makes a difference in DME application or not. THanks in advance.

The PET only shows one DME for a US spec 1985 944. The original part number was 944.618.111.01. This was superceded by 944.618.111.AX.

Edit: I think 944.618.121.02 is for the 944S2. HTH.

Richard,

Thanks for the info. I will pursue that avenue. Anyone out there have an extra? lol!

Maybe I should have said this before, but I'm not quite sure what model you have when you say 1985.5. The 111.01 DME was used in 944's from 1982-1985. It looks like the S2 was released in 1985, and 944.618.121.04 DME was used on that car until 1987 on engine type M44.07/08.

You can download older (but very useful) pdf versions of the PET by clicking the Links button at the top of the page.

• 8 months later...

I have a 1985.5 944 with standard transmission. The part number of the control unit is 944.618.121.02. The 1985.5 was a mid-year change in preparation for the forthcoming turbo. It definitely has a different dashboard, and I understand there were some suspension changes and a few other relatively minor things.

Hope that info is of some value.

I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there who repairs these control units -- or do we have to junk the car when they're no longer available.