Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Having sporadic issue with my 2002 C2 not starting

My car has had this issue for a while now where it sometimes wouldn't start. Thought it was a bad battery since I don't drive the car much (19k miles in 5 years). I recently replaced the battery and also put the car on a battery maintainer, and the issue still persists. Even took it into the dealer for a day, and of course they were able to start the car with no problem.

What could be causing this problem? When this issue occurs, turning the ignition key just simply doesn't do anything. There's just a low humming sound right before turning on the ignition, and then nothing after that. I also noticed that stepping on the gas helps, but cannot be certain. The car will eventually start again after several tries. This has happened to me several times where I just sit there and keep trying (for as long as 10 min one time) until the car starts again.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ta

:welcome:

My first guess would be ignition switch - a known weak point.

Do a search here - lots of information on the ignition switch problems.

Thanks for the quick response.

So I just took the car into Pasadena Rusnak again, and this time they did figure out why my car is not starting sporadically. Turns out its something wrong with the "Kill Switch" on the car, that all the models coming out of Beverly Hills Porsche has this bad design, not sure exactly how its defective though. To override the "Kill Switch", you have to press this little button hidden underneath the carpet on the center console and then depress the clutch and start the ignition. They gave me the option to remove the Kill Switch for about 150 bucks, but I decided to see if I can live with it using the override option...we'll see.