Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof Transport System Mounts

Hi,

I recently purchased a RTS for $300 used. I plan on using it this ski season, but ever since I mounted it on my hardtop I have been getting a lot more creaking, and noise than normal. Is it possible to mount the older style RTS on the newer body mounted brackets? If so, does anyone have the part numbers of the body mounted RTS brackets?

Plus, if I have the RTS mounted on the body, then if I am ever in am accident the RTS will keep my hardtop from flying off.

Thanks! :D

Do you have this mount?

No, I have the original hardtop only mounts, and the soft top only mount. The hardtop only mounts mount on the hardtop, the softtop only mounts cannot be used with a hardtop because they curve in. When they revised the RTS they made one mount that is for both hardtop/softtop use.

I want to use the ones that are hardtop/softtop compatible, like the one you pictured. My question is:

Can you use these new mounts on the older style RTS? Do you have the PN?

Thanks!

Edited by rick3000

Yes, it mounts to the ears.

I will call up Sunset and see if they sell the newer mounts seperately. All I want to know is if I can use the use the new mounts on the original RTS, or if the newer RTS has a different shape and can be used with the older hardtop mounts.

And just a statement of fact I was unaware of before I bought the RTS, is that the older style came with both hardtop and softtop mounts. The newer version is the same except that, it has one universal hardtop/softop mount instead of two seperate ones.

• 1 month later...

I hate bumping old threads, but wanted to give a little UPDATE the will hopefully help people in the future.

There are two types of RTS (Roof Transport System), the old one and the new one. The old one came with two mounts one for the hardtop and one for the body of the car. The RTS was upgraded at the same time the hardtop lost the, "ears," to include only one universal mount.

I have an original RTS and a hardtop with ears. After driving with the RTS mounted on the the hardtop, I got some noise issues due to the extra weight on the top. So I tried the body RTS mounts (pictures above, thanks Tool Pants), with my hardtop. They fit just fine, I was hesitant because I though because it had two mounts one for the hardtop and one for the soft top, but I was wrong. The ones I thought were for soft top only use, work just fine with the hardtop, and although the part number is different from the newer RTS mounts they appear to be identical.

So apparently if you have an older RTS you can use it with any hardtop, via the body mounts. And if you have the newer RTS then you just have the body mounts, and that works too. I am going to switch to the body mounts to hopefully eliminate the noise the RTS caused through the hardtop, keep the top from flying off of the car if I am ever in an accident, and add a "roll cage" to my Boxster.