Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help installing HID into stock halogen housings

Hi,

I got the 5000K HID kit from CQ lights today. I want to install it in my '01 Boxster with regular, amber headlights. I read the DIY article but I am not really clear on basic points, such as which of the installations below should I choose. Once chosen, where do I find the 'socket of my original headlight', what cables do I connect to the car and where?

Sorry for the obvious nature of the questions, but I am really new to the DIY world and got really inspired by the original DIY article for this conversion, but have had very little response to my questions - maybe because they are too obvious...

post-17763-1195183602_thumb.jpg

post-17763-1195183624_thumb.jpg

If you don't have Boxster shop manual, I suggest you to get Bentley's "Porsche Boxster Service Manual" to look at electrical schematic. Once you have the schematic, I think it will make the HID kit installation easier and safer. Amazon has a great price at:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxster-Serv...7551&sr=8-1

Peter

Thanks Peter....

How is this manual different than the one that comes with the car?

Gus

Service manual is a repair manual containing step by step procedure for servicing or repairing the car.

Owner's manual that came with the car is an opertional manual describing how to operate a car.

And to add some perspective, this manual is many (5?) times the size of the owner's manual. I was surprised by how thick the darn thing was. It is a good buy regardless of whether you use it for the headlight work or not.

I put this exact kit in my '01 S this last summer (and am extremely pleased)...........The first time it was a

little daunting because of all of the varied components but after doing it once and understanding it,

I think I could do another one in about ten minutes other than walking down to the basement to my

drill press to drill the holes.

1. Remove the headlamp assy's (I assume that you have done this.......consult your owner's manual).

Look for instructions for replacing a headlamp bulb.

2. Pop the back covers off of the headlamp units (simple....and also in the owner's manual insructions).

3. The only mods you are going to have to do involves drilling two holes in each cover. one to fit the

large grommet on component #3 (in your excellent picture) and one smaller one for wire #4.

(you will need a hole saw to do the best job for the larger hole. There's plenty of wire, just choose

the best spots in the cover.

4. You will see the small connections (female 90 degree spades) on the back of the headlamp bulbs

(the closest bulbs to you when you look inside the cover.......you want the TOP bulb - the low beam).

5. Unplug the wires and remove the bulb (H7 bulb - held in by small wire clip).

6. Unscrew the protective clear plastic cover on the new bulb and install it; secure the wire clip.

7. Take wire #4 and work the male spades through the small hole that you drilled in the cover (so the

spades will be on the inside of the light unit).

8. Plug the male spades into the factory 90 degree female bulb wire connections.......(I then wrapped my

secured connections with tape and then took a small plastic tie and tied wire #4 to the bracketry under the

bulb so that no pulling on the harness from the outside would disturb the spade connections).

NOTE: The polarity is obvious on the supplied red/black harness but the factory harness is a different color.

The red goes to the yellow (+ pos) and the black goes to the brown (-neg).

9. Now, thread the wire and connectors from the new bulb harness (#3) through the larger hole that you

drilled in the cover, position the grommet, adjust the slack on both wires going through the cover and

snap the cover back on.

10. All of the other components remain external to the housing and there is plenty of room for them.

They all only plug in one way so you cannot make a misake.

11. I put small plastic ties through the holes of the metal box on component #1 and secured it (them)

to some handy pipes or bracketry inside of the fender. the rest of the harness just sits back there behind

where the headlamp unit slides in. You will have options here - do as you please.

12. MAKE SURE that the large lower side guide pins on the headlamp housing are in their track when reinstalling

the headlamp units.

13. Try them out........they're pretty neat when they fire up with a flicker/flash. The first time you are out

at night and come up to an intersection with the white painted reflective lines on the road you will be

startled by how brightly illuminated they are! Better than HD TV!

14. Good luck..............Enjoy.........John

Edited by 986fan

Thank you so much John for the detailled description...I did do the MOD and am impressed by how much brighter it looks.

I am adding some pics to show the final results (my camera is not that great though, despite my great photographic skills...hahahaha)

I just believe the headlights are not very well aligned...but I will check during the next weekend...

Thanks,

Gus

post-17763-1195444205_thumb.jpg

post-17763-1195444245_thumb.jpg

post-17763-1195444288_thumb.jpg

Edited by gandrade1

..........I did do the MOD and am impressed by how much brighter it looks.

I just believe the headlights are not very well aligned............

Looks great Gus!.......I'm glad you got them done. The cut-offs pictured on your garage door

are correct and normal. The headlights should not need to be re-aligned.

Edited by 986fan