Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.2 intakes etc on 3.4

I have a MY01 Boxster S with bad 3.2 liter motor.

I have an option to purchse a 3.4 longblock for the same price as a complete 3.2 motor assembly.

What would the repurcussions of trying to put my intake etc onto this 3.4 liter motor be.

I would not get varioram, but would mot need to rewire for varioram.

I would not need to space my motor down since I would be using stock Boxtster manifolds and tb etc.

Would I still need to reflash my ecu?

Is there any reason why my plenums etc would not fit the motor?

What am I missing?

Why is this a bad idea?

I know I will miss out on some of the benefit of the 3.4 by losing varioram, but how much?

Would I need to retune for the larger displacement, or would the close loop be able to compensate for a .2 liter variation over 6 cylinders?

Would it not be worth the additional cost over going to a standard 3.2 if I don't get varioram?

Looking for any input.

Thanks

I have an option to purchse a 3.4 longblock for the same price as a complete 3.2 motor assembly.

What happened to you 3.2L engine? How many miles were on it?

Now would be the best time to consider a 3.6L engine from a 911.

3.2 has 85k miles. Low oil pressure, may have had to do with oil seperator issue, or may have been due to some sort of abuse.

Problem with a 3.6 is that it requires more ecu headaches, new gauges etc etc to get it working.

Now if you are suggesting putting my manifolds onto a 3.6 block and heads, Good idea! But the question remains, how well would that work? Would it be worth the extra money and effort? What would the ecu do with the extra displacement?

3.2 has 85k miles. Low oil pressure, may have had to do with oil seperator issue, or may have been due to some sort of abuse.

Problem with a 3.6 is that it requires more ecu headaches, new gauges etc etc to get it working.

Now if you are suggesting putting my manifolds onto a 3.6 block and heads, Good idea! But the question remains, how well would that work? Would it be worth the extra money and effort? What would the ecu do with the extra displacement?

Ha! I just got what I assume is the same offer from the same place for a 3.2 or 3.4 longblock for the same price.... and I wanted to come over here to see if changing my intakes would even work...

except in my case my 3.2 won't run at all... crack cylinder sleeve. In your case... have you tried changing the A/O sep? its not too hard to do... and it will save you the headache of changing the motor. I WISH my problem was just low oil pressure... and 3.2 can be found for less than 5... just have to look. hard.

Ha! I just got what I assume is the same offer from the same place for a 3.2 or 3.4 longblock for the same price.... and I wanted to come over here to see if changing my intakes would even work...

except in my case my 3.2 won't run at all... crack cylinder sleeve. In your case... have you tried changing the A/O sep? its not too hard to do... and it will save you the headache of changing the motor. I WISH my problem was just low oil pressure... and 3.2 can be found for less than 5... just have to look. hard.

It is true that if you hunt you can find motors less than $5k.

My 3.2 was running, but with metal in the oil filter and a faint rod knock that would increase with engine temp. I am not sure I would call that "running".

I would be happy to sell you my motor for parts. Sounds like your motor's crank is ok and my cylinders etc seem to be in good order.

In reality though, I am also looking at if it is worth parting out my motor instead of sending in the core. Shiping on my core is $250 or so which means I would only need to sell $800 worth of parts to be ahead and my heads etc should all be in good order, manifolds, cats etc etc also all present and should be in usable state.

It is true that if you hunt you can find motors less than $5k.

My 3.2 was running, but with metal in the oil filter and a faint rod knock that would increase with engine temp. I am not sure I would call that "running".

I would be happy to sell you my motor for parts. Sounds like your motor's crank is ok and my cylinders etc seem to be in good order.

In reality though, I am also looking at if it is worth parting out my motor instead of sending in the core. Shiping on my core is $250 or so which means I would only need to sell $800 worth of parts to be ahead and my heads etc should all be in good order, manifolds, cats etc etc also all present and should be in usable state.

Makes sense... are you thinking about trading in the core for a rebuilt unit from Porsche? I would think about your motor, but I dont have the spot to spend the time rebuilding one... I have access to a garage to do the swap, just not to take apart the engine... good luck with your search!

Makes sense... are you thinking about trading in the core for a rebuilt unit from Porsche? I would think about your motor, but I dont have the spot to spend the time rebuilding one... I have access to a garage to do the swap, just not to take apart the engine... good luck with your search!

I am looking at a couple of motor options including outright pruchase of recycled motors and rebuilt motors.

Istooks and Mayo here by me will do rebuilds, if the "core" is decent it is not too expensive.

I was thinking about doing a rebuild myself using the same machine work guys that both those local shops do, but I think I would rather be driving the car than working on it!

the 3.4 and 3.6 options would be recycled motors

I am looking at a couple of motor options including outright pruchase of recycled motors and rebuilt motors.

Istooks and Mayo here by me will do rebuilds, if the "core" is decent it is not too expensive.

I was thinking about doing a rebuild myself using the same machine work guys that both those local shops do, but I think I would rather be driving the car than working on it!

the 3.4 and 3.6 options would be recycled motors

I wish I had a rebuildable core... I need an engine now... so im looking used out of a junker. I found a place that will re-sleeve my cylinders with nickies while upgrading my pistons to whatever I want, but its what a used 3.4 would be price wise... I may tear down my old block once I get it out and go that route but not yet...

I either chickened out or cheaped out. Not sure which it was.

I have a 3.2 on the way. Now that I know the difficulty of the swap, I will be on the lookout for a 3.4 or 3.6 to move up if the price is right.

BTW a lift makes dropping the motor a time consuming, but very straightforward operation.

Doing it on jackstands is a violation of the laws of nature.

I commend those of you who have done it(some of you time and again)!