Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changes to 997 - USA to NL

Next year I am moving from NY to the Netherlands and I will take a US 2006 997 C2 with me (I am able to import it without custom duties/taxes). Does anyone have experience with importing into the Netherlands? Any changes necessary to lights (xenon), radio or other?

Thanks,

Marc

The Netherlands have a higher requirement for security than the USA. Standard fittment would be option I536 Battery backed siren and tilt sensor. The Rear CU is also configured for this option to allow for alarm trigger and reset intervals to comply with the country security requirements for such vehicles. The PCM or CDR radio frequency steps are also different in Europe to the USA, this will also need to be reconfigured via the PWIS unit. Daytime running lights using the indicator lenses is also not required , and can be reconfigured . The security issue will probably not be a restriction on importing , but may cause some problems with insurance. I may be able to help with retro fitting this option if you want , as I have already done this on my 987 and now had a letter from Porsche confirming it meets this standard. Assuming you have rear fog lights also , there should be very little diferences between the two countries. Porsche America should be able to give you a comission notice letter that states the differences between a vehicle built for the Netherlands and one built for the USA , these are usually produced back in Germany and sent to the local agent.

I Currently live in Ohio, and will move to Holland next summer. I have a '06 997C2 which i will import as well. I informed about the alarm, and the insurance companies require a class 5 alarm (GPS tracking). What i did is changed the side indicator lenses for clear ones, and changed the setting in the computer so they will blink now with direction. Can the daylight running light setting be changed in the car's computer as well? i was also wondering if the units that they placed next to the rear license plate can be removed, so a standard NL plate will fit? (p.s. What is the PWIS unit?) Thanks!

I would expect the request for a tracker is on the basis that the current alarm spec is lower than that of a standard car. There are some warnings from Porsche regarding the fitting of trackers in the TSB section of this forum , so I would make sure that the device fitted meets the local insurance company's requirements and is recognised by them. A USA brand of tracker may not work in the netherlands or be recognised as a suitable device. Certainly in my case , the insurers were originally insisting on having additional alarm systems installed to bring the level of security to a higher level. Now that I have certification and proof that the alarm has been brought up to equivalent UK spec , there is no issue. It is important that the parts fitted are Porsche parts and installed in the correct locations and coded as per an original car , this way the local OPC can validate that the functionality is identical to a domestic vehicle. Retro fitting aftermarket alarms to Porsche vehicles is more difficult on the current 997 as the retro fit alarms interact and conflict with the OEM porsche security. The OEM porsche security cannot be turned off permanently and the retro fit alarm is not certifiable if it has its conflicting sensors turned off. For me , the only path forward was to retro fit the OEM equipment and get it certified. This also reduces issues with poor installation and electrical problems or multiple key fobs. The kit of parts to upgrade is essentially :

1. tilt sensor and two small posdrive screws

2. battery backed siren and bracket

3. shear fastening nuts for rear DME module

4. Wiring loom with plugs and connectors

5. Recode of rear CU unit by porche agent using PWIS workshop computer.

Since the option doesn't exist in the USA the parts are not listed on the dealer part catalogue. Also there is currently no retro fit loom available from Porsche. As a professional engineer , i obtained the correct plugs, and connections then made and installed the loom myself. Fitting involves removing the drivers seat , the door sill trim , and fusebox. Relatively simple to do and takes about 2 hours to install. All the parts are OEM and installed on the correct locations, no special modification was required. The wiring terminates at the correct control units using the correct end terminations added to vacant positions in the connector plugs. All told there are only six wires in the loom , so instalation is straight forward. The tilt sensor detects the car being raised in an attempt to either tow it away or gain access to the wheel , or wheel arches. The battery backed siren sounds even after the battery has been diconnected. The shear nuts prevent the rear DME module that houses the security codes for the vehicle being removed and replaced.

Hi, I will be moving back from Idaho to NL next summer as well, importing my new, to be delivered, C2S coupe.

I had a friend who moved back this summer, and he imported his Targa4. As he is not very technical, he had all changes done by the dealer, and I am in the process of finding out exactly what they were.

Most of what I know now has been mentioned, potential insurance problem with the alarm, radio reconfiguration for frequency steps, side markers that need to blink according to Dutch law.

My friend furthermore mentioned that the Nav needed to be changed/updated (not only buying the local DVD), if I find out exactly what it was I will post it, but whatever it was, it was done easily.

In regards to the rear bumper; the 2 lumps sticking out can be removed, but you are left with 2 holes, which I believe are bigger then the Dutch license plate will cover. An OEM European bumper cover (without the 2 lumps) is not too expensive, but they come unpainted.

If you are going to swap the rear bumper cover (I am), I would wait until after visiting the RDW (Dutch ~DMV), as I believe that if you have your car inspected with the US rear bumper cover, you will get a notification on your registration (kenteken) that will allow you to use the smaller sized (US style) license plates, so that you will have the choice between Dutch or US style.

PQR5CHE, how did you change the setting in order to get your side markers to blink?? Thanks

Fun to read that there are quite a few new Porsche's to be expected in Holland, if I learn more on conversion issues/tips/tricks, I will post them, grtz, Piet-Hein

Ha Piet-Hein,

At the Porsche dealer they can plug your car into the computer and just and just change the settings from the side markers. Very easy. I don't know if they can also change the daytime running lights in the computer settings...?

When i talked to a dutch Porsche Dealer in Rotterdam recently, they told me that they install a Clifford klasse 5 alarm in each new 911 that they sold.

I'm glad there are more people importing 911's! We can learn from eachother's experiences!

Groetjes!

Ed.

post-25570-1196692977_thumb.jpg

Edited by PQR5CHE