Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Amplifier Identification

Hi all,

I am trying to purchase an M490 from a seller, but I need a pre 03 (non fiber) amp. The seller is not sure what he has and is asking how to identify if it has a fiber connex. I haven't seen the newer amps, so I am not sure if they are the typical square optical plugs or what exactly.

Can anyone post a picture of the connections on a 03 or newer M490 upgrade or suggest the best way to identify it?

Thank you.

Ask the seller to give you the info off the white sticker on the amp.

Info provided...

HAES

6X40W Verstarker

996 Coupe M490

harmen 49134 70192/01

Serial - Nr which is the serial number

date: W949

made in sweden

uhm old school HAES. I don't think there is any fiber optics for that one. I got like 5 of em floating around my shop(very crappy)).

post-23680-1198003677.jpg

Info provided...

HAES

6X40W Verstarker

996 Coupe M490

harmen 49134 70192/01

made in sweden

Great, thanks for the save;)

I was trying to repalce my 01 amp (4 channel) with a 6 channel to better run my PNP rears and keep things somewhat stock, and saw that amp for a decent price. But, better to know it is not worth it.

Appreciated!

uhm old school HAES. I don't think there is any fiber optics for that one. I got like 5 of em floating around my shop(very crappy)).

Info provided...

HAES

6X40W Verstarker

996 Coupe M490

harmen 49134 70192/01

made in sweden

Info provided...

HAES

6X40W Verstarker

996 Coupe M490

harmen 49134 70192/01

made in sweden

996.645.311.00 is not a current part number.

For 996 (coupe only--targa and cabrio may differ) with M490, the part numbers in PET (update 203, about a year old now) are:

996.345.301.01 through 2000 model year

996.345.321.00 for 2001 and 2002 model years

996.645.331.01 for 2003-on

996.645.331.02 for 2003-on (supersedes 996.645.331.01)

996.645.331.03 for 2003-on (supersedes 996.645.331.02)

The last three, 996.645.331.xx, are MOST and are the same amps used in Boxster with M490 for 2003-2004. The connections for these amps should look something like this (sorry, one pic is a little blurry):

post-6002-1198004057_thumb.jpgpost-6002-1198004067_thumb.jpg

The optical connection is the one on the bottom.

--Brian

Any time! then again it's just my opinion, but seriously if U want something sound clear & efficient, u should cosider replacing it with an after market amp like HIFONICS, PHEONIX GOLD( mono block , mosfet power , built in circuitry , -00.04 THD distortion - the lowest in the industry)

U mentioned replacing your 4CH with a 6 CH.

This is what I'm using HIFONICS TXI440(mentioned in new sound sys upgrade topic) - 55W x 4(4OHM) 110W X 4(2OHM) RMS though

if U were to rate this Like how Haes guys do, who knows 500W x 4? This is going to push my single POLK 8"DVC in 2OHM then 2-4" dash(CLIF DESIGN),2-5-1/4"mids door,2 tweets rear pocket(CLIF DESIGN), 2-3,1/2"(INFINITY) rear - all running in series(maybe stabled in 1 OHM?)

post-23680-1198007796_thumb.jpg

Great, thanks for the save;)

I was trying to repalce my 01 amp (4 channel) with a 6 channel to better run my PNP rears and keep things somewhat stock, and saw that amp for a decent price. But, better to know it is not worth it.

Appreciated!

Info provided...

HAES

6X40W Verstarker

996 Coupe M490

harmen 49134 70192/01

made in sweden

Edited by juniinc

• Moderators

I think that 996 645 311 00 amp from a 996 will work in your 2001 Boxster.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=9187&st=40

In fact, one of the local guys with a 2000 just bought that amp to power his rear speakers. I took a picture of it at our work on cars day, but I don't know if he has put it in yet.

It is from a coupe, not a cab. I asked one of the mechanics what was the difference between a coupe and cab amp, and he thought it might be the crossovers. I don't even know what crossovers are.

I just bought a 996 amp from ebay for my 1997 to power rear speakers. I don't have it yet. Part number 996 645 313 00. Seller said it is from a 1999 C2 cab.

Pictures are of the amp the local guy bought.

post-4-1198027390_thumb.jpg

post-4-1198027414_thumb.jpg

Well I don't know what to make of this amp or the seller for that matter. He claims it is from a Mercedes 996. :unsure:

here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=280161113376

Juniinc...

I bought 4" Polk Audio db 401 for the dash, and Polk Momo MMC 525 5-1/4" for the doors - not high end by any means, but a good upgrade for the money I believe. How are the Polk 8"s, I am interested in those? So you are running them in series? Almost everything I read says to avoid that due to the draw on the amp, the altenator, etc. and other potential problems. Can you shed some light on this?

Edited by por986

Sure, that amp u mentioned on Ebay looks like a regular M490 from 911(6CH).

U made a great choice, buying polks - 1 of my top choices(MB quart,POLK,Clif Design,Infinity,,,) they also do great in competition.

Not every amplifier is 2 OHM stable, only a few high end without getting overheated,distorted. Whenever OHM gets lowered, output power will almost double. In our 986's cabin , u don't need all that great power-all that power is worthless if it isn't tuned properly. Upgrading your alternator or battery is more likely when u r drawing massive power . just pushing roughly tuned 45RMS watts to your speakers would be way enough.

My 8"sub isn't finished yet ,that is going to run in parallel. its being continued on my new topic!

post-23680-1198040321_thumb.jpg

Well I don't know what to make of this amp or the seller for that matter. He claims it is from a Mercedes 996. :unsure:

here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=280161113376

Juniinc...

I bought 4" Polk Audio db 401 for the dash, and Polk Momo MMC 525 5-1/4" for the doors - not high end by any means, but a good upgrade for the money I believe. How are the Polk 8"s, I am interested in those? So you are running them in series? Almost everything I read says to avoid that due to the draw on the amp, the altenator, etc. and other potential problems. Can you shed some light on this?

I got the polks through Crutchfield. They had a buy one set get the second at half off deal. BTW, for anyone buying dash speakers from them, with my order I mentioned to them that I heard that spacers had to be fitted for the dash install, and at no charge, they shipped blank plastic pieces with instructions on how to make my own spacers supposedly. We will see when they get here.

For the amp(s), I have an old school RF Punch 160x4 that will run 2ohm stable. I am thinking of doing something a bit different than most (now that I am not going to buy a 5 or 6 channel necessarily)....

Run my dash and PNP rears off of the stock HAES 4 channel, and full doors (no crossover) and 2 crossed-over 8"polk or JL Audio off of the RF. It might not be the acoustically balanced setup, but I think that the full doors will fill it in nicely. Maybe too much, but we will see. I can always drop a High pass fillter in if need be.

I will follow your new post and see what direction you go.

Edited by por986

WOW 2 eights? where r u going to fit all these? BTW your 2 seats vertically. they r gonna be taller than ur roll bar,,,LOL

U can wire 2 8OHM subs running in parallel then bridge it(4OHM BRIDGED equal power as 2OHM mono) to your ROCKFORD

U definitely need some tweeters. above 1000~2000 HZ is gonna be lacking!

I got the polks through Crutchfield. They had a buy one set get the second at half off deal. BTW, for anyone buying dash speakers from them, with my order I mentioned to them that I heard that spacers had to be fitted for the dash install, and at no charge, they shipped blank plastic pieces with instructions on how to make my own spacers supposedly. We will see when they get here.

For the amp(s), I have an old school RF Punch 160x4 that will run 2ohm stable. I am thinking of doing something a bit different than most (now that I am not going to buy a 5 or 6 channel necessarily)....

Run my dash and PNP rears off of the stock HAES 4 channel, and full doors (no crossover) and 2 crossed-over 8"polk or JL Audio off of the RF. It might not be the acoustically balanced setup, but I think that the full doors will fill it in nicely. Maybe too much, but we will see. I can always drop a High pass fillter in if need be.

I will follow your new post and see what direction you go.

WOW 2 eights? where r u going to fit all these? BTW your 2 seats vertically. they r gonna be taller than ur roll bar,,,LOL

U can wire 2 8OHM subs running in parallel then bridge it(4OHM BRIDGED equal power as 2OHM mono) to your ROCKFORD

U definitely need some tweeters. above 1000~2000 HZ is gonna be lacking!

Well it is all in my head right now, no measurements made, but I am going to see if I can use the upper space in the footwell in anyway. I also looked at 6" JL subs (.25 cuft airspace required each). I believe if done right, the 6" might fit in a custom rear storage area. 3.5 inch mounting depth.