Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rear spoiler

Hi guys, it is not long ago i bought my first Boxster 98. On my way home I noticed that my rear spoiler is not working. :o Please could you help me what could be the reason or what to check. When i start the engine, the spoiler light is on for about 5 seconds. I tried the foot switch but it is not working either. When i go more than 75 miles, nothing happen. Thanks for your help

Hi guys, it is not long ago i bought my first Boxster 98. On my way home I noticed that my rear spoiler is not working. :o Please could you help me what could be the reason or what to check. When i start the engine, the spoiler light is on for about 5 seconds. I tried the foot switch but it is not working either. When i go more than 75 miles, nothing happen. Thanks for your help

Ninja:

First check fuse # D8, in the main fuse panel that the "foot switch" is mounted on. (4th row from top, 8th fuse from left). It's a 15 amp fuse. If you don't have any extra fuses, there are some spares in very bottom row (to the right of the switch). Do not use anything other than a 15 amp fuse, it could get expensive.

If that fuse is good, there are also two additional relays inside the rear trunk, on a relay carrier on the driver's (left) side inner fender, under the left side trim panel (carpeting). Once you locate the relay carrier, you can just pull it to the right to remove it from its bracket and you can lay it on the trunk floor.

There are twelve (12) small square relays there, numbered 1 to 6 going from left to right on the top row, and 7 to twelve going fom left to right in the bottom row.

#3 is the "spoiler extension" relay, and # 9 is the "spoiler retraction" relay.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.

Thank you for quick response Maurice,

today I have checked fuse and it is OK.

Therefore I moved to the back and found relays. This is very stupid question but how could I recognise faulty relay??

I have just noticed one more thing. When I use the switch the rear spoiler

goes just about 1/2 inch up then stops.

Thank you, Radim

post-25223-1200749857_thumb.jpg

Thank you for quick response Maurice,

today I have checked fuse and it is OK.

Therefore I moved to the back and found relays. This is very stupid question but how could I recognise faulty relay??

I have just noticed one more thing. When I use the switch the rear spoiler

goes just about 1/2 inch up then stops.

Thank you, Radim

Radim:

You will have to refer to a wiring diagram to determine how best to test the relays. There is also a wiring schematic usually printed on the top of the the relays. It is not difficult to open the relays and inspect them for any obvious signs of malfunction. Perhaps some of our more electrically gifted members can explain how to test these particular relays with a multitester.

In the meantime, if you can get a hold of known working relays from another car and temporarily swap them with yours (or install yours on the car where you know the spoiler is working), you might be able to better pinpoint the problem.

Also, take a look at the two relays (#3 and #6) and see if they are identical (from the schematics printed on top or from the part numbers). If they are, you can try to swap them one for the other and see if you get any results.

I have also had some success (sometimes temporary) with taking out a known bad relay and tapping it sharply on a hard surface to revive it. Also, pulling the relay on and off its receptacles a few times also helps, as that sometimes cleans off surface corrosion on the spades.

Lastly, since you now stated that the spoiler does extend 1/2 inch, I would check to make sure that there is nothing restricting the movement of the spoiler. You can take out the trunk liner to inspect that area more closely. There is also an electrical harness connector (black) for the spoiler motor under there, make sure the connections are tight. While you are in there, if you can have someone press the switch and you can listen to see if you can hear the two relays click on and off as the switch is pressed in the extend and retract modes.

By the way, you mentioned that the spoiler light is on for about 5 seconds when you first start the engine. That can be perfectly normal, as the spoiler light is supposed to go on when you start the engine and then go out after you start rolling.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Finally I had chance to look closer to the issue with my rear spoiler.

I have checked both relays and they were working well. Then I decided to take all the lifting mechanism off the car and to look for a dead mouse :P - and I found her B)

Unfortunately I did not take any picture when I was getting the thing out from the car, but it was very easy and it was matter of couple of bolts and nuts on each side.

When I pull it out I then looked right inside to find out how it is actually working.

post-25223-1202581371_thumb.jpg

What I found were two switches (green arrow). I have checked them and they were working fine. Because the spoiler was moving just little bit up and then stopped I tried to do some working simulation and found out that the white rider (red arrow) was little bit bended. It meant that one of the switch got into off-state to early.

I was scratching my head for a bit and then I picked the easiest solution:

post-25223-1202582301_thumb.jpg

To get switches closer to the rider was easy using plastic stripe.

I put it all back and it was working since then without any problem..........

:D :D :D GRIP IS BACK :D :D :D

Hope this will help someone,

Radim