Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First Time Buyer

Great info here guys. I am shopping for a 99-01 996.

My budget is upto 30k.

I have found 99 coupes with milage in the 40k-70k to be in that budget. Mostly are dealer trades with limited history notes.

One in particular is a 99 silver ext with red int. C2 coupe. It has 42k miles on clock. The dealer didn't felt some vibration so had the clutch and flywheel checked by a Porche ind. shop. Clutch had plenty of meat left but they stuck a new stock FW in it. Now fine. The shop said the RMS was dry also. The only other known issue is they is a slight vertical crease near the edge of the hood about 1.5" long. Looks like someone had left something in the channel when closing. Carfax shows a minor accident in the rear at 32k miles. 2 owners 1st was a lease 2nd college kid that only drove 10k miles for 5 yrs he had it.

Dealer is firm at $26k

What milage should I be looking at for this budget? Is the maintance different bigtime between C2 and C4? Wife thinks she want CAB. What should I be looking for in these?

Thanks for the help! Hoping to be an owner in two weeks!

Welcome, and where are you located? (You can add this to your profile.)

Well, I think that would be a great dealer price for a clean C2 with 42k miles, if it's what you want (color, interior, etc).

For your reference, I bought mine in November with 49k for $29.5.

(The economy hasn't gotten any better, so there is price pressure on these cars.)

Is the car for you or your wife? Coupe vs. cab are different cars obviously, and cabs require a bit more from their owner.

Why do you think the rear-ender was minor? afaik, carfax only shows accidents reported to insurance companies. If it was really minor, the owner wouldn't have reported it, so it must have caused some damage at least to the bumper (or could have been more?).

You should get the car inspected yourself before purchasing.

At $26k, you're saving a little money which could fix the hood or cover some minor costs down the road, but you do not want to have to buy a new motor.

Do you know what options the car has? (They're listed under the hood in case the dealer says they don't know.)

What kind of dealer (a well-established independent, Porsche, or a fly-by-night operation)?

I think these cars are exceptional values in the $30k range, but be aware that major repairs can be very expensive.

Good luck,

Dave

This is cheap compared to UK prices - I just sold my 1999 C2 Cabriolet Tiptronic with 62k miles and a big spec and full MDSH for just over £25k - AND it had a new engine because these are a lottery!

There is loads of stuff re engine issues and if it goes budget on $10k upwards (£11k in UK).

The problem is you can't tell if they are going.

I would either go for a warranty or pay more for a 3.6 version or find one that's had a new engine already.

Other repairs are trivial compared to engines.

Thanks guys for all the input.

1. PPI......YES! Saw that advice numerously here.

2. Car is for both of us. It will be mostly my good day commuter (sharing good days with my Ducati that is) What major maintance differances between coupe and cab? Other then obvious top motor and parts. are 4+ cycles of the top a day overkill?

3. JohnJ I am sorry to hear about your problems. What was the failure? From this board it seems that the main issue is RMS or inter. shaft seals failing and letting oil run low. What are the other major issues? Those seals were visably inspected 5 miles ago (FW replacement) and found to be dry.

4. Some known options so far are Aero2 wing, 2pc 18" wheels, Litronic Headlights, 3-spoke steering, full leather, heated seats, LSD (is this an option and how common)

5. Dealer seems to be a well established ind. Dealing in mostly highend vehicles.

6. I am in MA will correct profile.

I have seen some C4's slightly above my range. What are the frontend maintance like on those? Is it a worthwhile move to that?

Thanks for all the input

The problem was a cracked cylinder head and then oil mixed with water and vice versa. Then I had to replace all the O2 sensors, crank sensor and it just went on and on.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone but it can happen and there doesn't seem to be any sign before it goes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The C4 is unnecessary IMHO, and I heard maintenance was higher plus the boot is smaller.