Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3 Spoke Installation Question

I am getting ready to install a 3 spoke on my 99 C4.

I have read many posts on removal and reinstallation of steering wheels so I will apologize (in advance) if I missed one related to my question ...

I understand how / why to mark the location of the old wheel (for reinstallation) BUT what is the procedure for making sure the new wheel goes on straight / is alighned correctly?

TIA, Mark

Mark,

Make sure that the front wheels are straight and the old steering wheel is straight. When you put the old one on, you will know because the teeth are large enough that if you are off one way or the other it will be very apparent. By the way, you want to mark the nut to the housing so that when you retighten it, you know exactly how far to turn it.

Dave

• Moderators

Look at the black alignment marks I made. On your replacement wheel the center of the square hole should be aligned with the black mark on the shaft.

Do not break the plastic prongs that stick out from the air bag spiral spring when you push the new wheel on the splined shaft.

post-2-1083256520_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If your T30 tool is in the head of the torque screw then you just need to turn it counter clockwise. If you are using the screwdriver type then it is hard to do because you have little leverage and may have to use pliers on the handle. There is loctite on the screws so it takes some effor to break them free. The screws are on an angle so your tool should be on an angle.

I use a torx bit on the end of a ratchet wrench.

post-2-1083297819_thumb.jpg

OK, Success.

Thank you all for the very valuable assistance.

For those of you that do this after me:

In addition to all the great information available on this project available via this forum ... several important points for those who are not known by their friends as 'ToolPants' and likely don't have a 'complete' set of tools.

1) the airbag bolts were impossible for me to remove with the T30 with the standard handle ... ToolPants's rachet idea was a requirement, not an option.

2) A Torx T30 bit the required length (about 2.5" long) was very difficult to find

3) An extension adaptor for a shorter TA30 Bit would not fit in the whole (of my 99' four spoke) to remove the screws

4) You need about 24mm to remove the steering wheel nut (my set only went up to 19mm (the new set I bought solved the problem).

5) like anything else, very easy with the right tools!

As you can guess ... I made a few different trips to HD, Lowes, and Wal-Mart!

Thanks.

• Moderators

Very good. Those little air bag screws are only 7.5 foot pounds but with blue thread lock you need Popeye arms unless you have the proper tool.

If you use a short T30 bit in a magnetic holder the holder is too "fat" to fit in the hole on a 4 spoke but does fit the larger 3 spoke hole. So I bought a 2 3/4" long bit to use on my 1/4" drive ratchet since I was removing so many steering wheels.

I bought the long bit from a place that sells tools for German cars as it is also used on VW/Audi air bags and it was hard to find, but a more common 2" T30 bit will also work.

If you found a 2 1/2" long bit you might want to let others know where as I did not see one at HD or Wal-Mart.

post-2-1083353106_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Time to bring this old thread back to life.

I was at a local hardware store, looking at tools, and found 3" long T30 bits. It was an ACE hardware store but not all ACE stores stock the same stuff. They are now using them for screws. Two bits for $5.79. They are made in Taiwan, but they will work. http://www.grkfasteners.com This is the first time I have seen T30 bits longer than 2" at a local hardware store.

My old 2 3/4" T30 is made by Hazet. I had to get it on the internet. It is now about $9 for that one bit.

post-4-1164695661_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Time to bring this old thread back to life.

I was at a local hardware store, looking at tools, and found 3" long T30 bits. It was an ACE hardware store but not all ACE stores stock the same stuff. They are now using them for screws. Two bits for $5.79. They are made in Taiwan, but they will work. http://www.grkfasteners.com This is the first time I have seen T30 bits longer than 2" at a local hardware store.

My old 2 3/4" T30 is made by Hazet. I had to get it on the internet. It is now about $9 for that one bit.

I found a 36 Piece Extended Driver Bit Set with T 10 thru T40 for $16.99 at Griot's Garage. Each bit is 3 inches long.

Jeff