Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fixed one problem, found another?

The weather was finally nice enough to take change my transmission oil. :D It was very easy and the whine is gone!!!!!

But I think I uncovered something else...

I am fairly competent working on cars, but to this point have only tackled the basic maintenance.

The attached picture is of the axle connecting to the transmission. It looks like the CV joint needs replacing. Is this the correct? If so, I was hoping someone on this site could let me know if this is something I could tackle or be better left to the professionals.

post-8519-1204504538.jpg

Thanks!

The weather was finally nice enough to take change my transmission oil. :D It was very easy and the whine is gone!!!!!

But I think I uncovered something else...

I am fairly competent working on cars, but to this point have only tackled the basic maintenance.

The attached picture is of the axle connecting to the transmission. It looks like the CV joint needs replacing. Is this the correct? If so, I was hoping someone on this site could let me know if this is something I could tackle or be better left to the professionals.

post-8519-1204504538.jpg

Thanks!

WC13:

Depending on how long that boot has been torn, how much driving you have done with the boot torn, and the amount of dirt and whether the grease inside the joint is still there to a significant degree, your CV joint may still be salvageable.

If that is the case, all you have to do is repack the joint and replace the rubber boot.

If not, it's still fairly straightforward to remove the entire half-shaft and bring it to an automotive shop that specializes in driveshafts and they can rebuild it for you.

Regards, Maurice.

...It looks like the CV joint needs replacing. Is this the correct? If so, I was hoping someone on this site could let me know if this is something I could tackle or be better left to the professionals.

post-8519-1204504538.jpg

Thanks!

I'm with Marice, you definitely have a torn boot and maybe nothing else. I think though someone found a boot that doesn't require removing the shaft. Also, a telltale sine of a bum joint can be a crackling knuckles sound around corners.

Regards, PK

WC:

One other thing. I seem to remember someone writing this up on another forum, but I can't remember exactly where.

If you are inclined to do this job yourself, let me know and I will look for it.

Regards, Maurice.

WC:

One other thing. I seem to remember someone writing this up on another forum, but I can't remember exactly where.

If you are inclined to do this job yourself, let me know and I will look for it.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice! I have been searching this site and a few others to get info.

For those that have done this, I have an estimate from an Indie shop for $230. In your opinion is it worth that?

Thanks!

Colin

WC:

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice! I have been searching this site and a few others to get info.

For those that have done this, I have an estimate from an Indie shop for $230. In your opinion is it worth that?

Thanks!

Colin

Colin:

If the indie is going to replace the boot, clean and repack the CV joint with fresh grease, $230 sounds reasonable.

Make sure that you discuss with him beforehand whether or not that covers the cost of replacing the bearings in the CV joint if they have gotten damaged due to prolonged driving with the boot torn and no grease/dirty grease in the joint. You don't want to have any nasty surprises once the car is apart, so it's best to discuss that possibility beforehand.

Regards, Maurice.