Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bent Pieces With Boxster Top

I am in the process of fixing the top on my 1998 boxster. I noticed

that the boomerang shape metal piece (1010 215 00 L) that the left transmission is bent.

The red ball piece is also broken. I checked the cables. They are the

non-reinforced old style cables, and they did not have the 3/4" lead into the

motor. I am going to replace the cables and the broken/bent pieces. Is there

anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

post-46-1084129858_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I assume you are going to replace the cables on both sides. If so, then you have to remove both transmissions. You might as well replace the push rod with the red plastic joint on the end even if it is not broken since you will have the transmission out to replace the cable on the side that works. About a year or so ago Porsche changed the plastic joint. It is now made out of a white plastic material and has a different "feel" to it. I suspect it is more heat resistent.

Check the male joint that the female red plastic joint snaps into. Make sure it is screwed in.

I would check the mounting ends for the black push rods for the clamshell. Both were bent on Gary's car and I have posted pictures of the bent ends. If the V-lever is bent then a lot of force was put on the black push rods.

Remove the inspection plate for the transmission and inspect for broken teeth. I have taken a few transmissions apart and they were never the problem.

The V-lever for the left side is 986 561 479 01.

Show us some pictures when you put it back together.

• Moderators

I did not see your picture when I posted.

Separate the ball joint where the green line is. Remove the clip where the yellow line is. Remove the rod from the car. Then you can tell if the mounting point for the black push rod is bent.

I also inspect the bushing and spacer where the blue line is. The only car I have seen with an issue in that area is Gary's.

The 19mm bolt for the V-lever is held in place with blue loctite. I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

post-46-1084136579_thumb.jpg

Well, I have the transmissions out. Here is a picture of the left V-lever.

The one on the bottom is the left side. See how it's bent pretty good. From

the prior post, I take it that you suggest I replace rather than bend it back?

Can you tell from my photo whether the push rods are bent?

post-46-1084168825_thumb.jpg

And, as I mentioned before the red joint on the left side broke. I am

going to replace it with the metal ones. I think one of the arms for the

joint is bent. I am not sure which one though. When I compare the

two, the angles are different. Any thoughts?

Daniel :(

post-46-1084169049_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
Well, I have the transmissions out.  Here is a picture of the left V-lever.

The one on the bottom is the left side.  See how it's bent pretty good.  From

the prior post, I take it that you suggest I replace rather than bend it back?

Can you tell from my photo whether the push rods are bent?

You have the typical $2,000 dealer top fix. From your pic it is a $200 fix.

Replace the V-lever. It should be flat. The left is obviously bent. Can't tell about the other side due to the angle of the picture. Not worth trying to bend back into shape since full retail is just $41.

The mounting ends of the clamshell push rods look bent to me. I put a green line to them. Clamp the mounting end in a vise and bend it back into shape just a hair. They are spot welded to the arm that comes out of the push rod and sometimes the weld breaks. The arm itself has a natural bend to it - so do not confuse the natural bend with the mounting end - since you have nothing to compare it to. They are $70 each but I fixed them on Gary's car.

post-46-1084174608_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
And, as I mentioned before the red joint on the left side broke.  I am

going to replace it with the metal ones.  I think one of the arms for the

joint is bent.  I am not sure which one though.  When I compare the

two, the angles are different.  Any thoughts?

The push rods with the plastic joint on the end are identical for the left and right side. I can see they do not match in your pic but cannot tell from the pic if one or both are bent.

Replace both sides with the Porsche parts as I suggested before. List is $48 each. I would like to try Scott's metal joints one of these days, but if the rods are bent then that is not an option.

How is the V-lever on the right side?

Someone held the top switch down too long while it was making a bunch of noise. :o

My bent V lever looks a lot like Gary's. However, The right side V lever

looks straight.

Going back to my first picture, there are two retaining clips on the

clamshell arm. One is painted body color and the other is bare metal

(The one that you put a yellow line on).

Are they supposed to be different color, or do you think my car had a

prior problem that someone tried to fix?

When I opened up the top, the right side's clip was gone and the clamshell

arm was off of the mounting point to the body. Is this the root of the problem

or is it a result of something else out of whack?

I unbolted the clamshell from the arms to get better access. I can

move the arms from side to side several inches. Is having quite a bit of play

normal or is it supposed to only move back and front in the track?

Daniel :drive:

• Moderators

The brass colored clips for the clamshell push rod are not painted. The other clips you see are painted in the body color.

When you have one transmission moving and the other side does not move, you are going to have bent and broken parts. Something that could be avoided for free by making the cable housing shorter or replacing the cables for $60.

I just had a problem with my boxster top, too. It appears that one of the motors died on me. I felt pretty silly standing in the middle of a parking lot with the top halfway up. I spent about an hour trying to close the top manually and finally got the top back up.

Does anyone know where I should go to get spare motor, rods, levers to make the repair to the top? Should I just order the parts from a dealer or is there a cheaper place to order them?

Thanks,

BPC

• Moderators

There is just one motor. It spins both cables that run to the transmissions on the left and right side. Not common for a motor to fail.

You need to figure out what the problem is first. For parts I would try Sunset Imports in Oregon.

• Moderators

Someone put a kit together on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

Do not see the need for the control unit or B pillar switch unless you have a problem. The push rods have the old style red plastic joints - no big deal. The part number for one of the cables looks like it is off a digit. Also has the hardware I suggested that Gary replace, including the rubber buffers for the push rods.

A good deal for $80 even if you do not need all the parts and the other cable part number checks out.

8b_1_b.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found the time to work on my top again. I replaced the bent arms and levers and the cables. Looking at the two clamshell arms, the left arm is higher than the right one. I tried searching this website for advice on timing the transmissions, but they weren't clear. How would you suggest I fix the timing?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel :angry:

• Moderators

Search under Mark's name as he has covered the timing several times. You want the orientation of the V-levers to be identical on both sides.

Pull up on the clam shell so that it is in the highest position. Operate a transmission via a drill on the end of the cable until you can get the female arm ball joint on the male joint on the V-lever. Repeat for the other side. Stick cables into the motor and secure with clips.

You can then test the operation of the clam shell. But make sure you do not get the red/white plastic joints caught on something or you will break them. A helper to keep the joints clear will help. Then hook up the plastic joints.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am still working on my top when I have time. In timing the top, I came across a snag. The left side of the clamshell does not line up flush with the body. See the pics below of the left and right sides. I disconnected the lever rods and manually raised the top, but the clamshell is still not lined up. Could the clamshell and/or arms be bent, or do you think it's a simple adjustment somewhere?

Thanks,

post-46-1087926946_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Disconnect the black push rods and operate the clamshell manually. If it will not sit flush and the supports are not bent then the clamshell itself may be tweaked. I assume your timing is right on.

That is what happened to Calvin's 1997. We removed the clamshell and laid it out the ground and it was obvious it had been tweaked. So we twisted it back into shape.

top_fix_bruse13.jpg

top_fix_bruce16.jpg