Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

Hey guys,

My brother just listed another 5 kits on Ebay, as the one he listed last night was sold by morning. He had mentioned we should have more coming next week for international folks interested in buying it as well. At any rate, links for the 5 listings are below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI....cSELL.m315.lVI

Edited by trieullionaire

The climate control is actually designed to fit the lower of the two compartment (the compartment right above the bat wing). It slides in easy and is made to fit perfectly there, I was very tempted to go this route because all you need to do is bring the wires down and slide climate control right in and put on a trim piece.

But yes, you can move the climate control to the same spot as in the picture. It requires some work though and might not be the easiest thing to do as you will need to modify the space to insert your climate control there. The outcome though is better ergonomics, its more accessible and completely visible since your gear lever shouldn't be in the way.

Hi Everyone,

What if the heater/AC controls are above the radio? Can they be moved down like it shows in the pictures on ebay, and if so, how hard is it?

Thank you,

Brian

The climate control is actually designed to fit the lower of the two compartment (the compartment right above the bat wing). It slides in easy and is made to fit perfectly there, I was very tempted to go this route because all you need to do is bring the wires down and slide climate control right in and put on a trim piece.

But yes, you can move the climate control to the same spot as in the picture. It requires some work though and might not be the easiest thing to do as you will need to modify the space to insert your climate control there. The outcome though is better ergonomics, its more accessible and completely visible since your gear lever shouldn't be in the way.

Hi Everyone,

What if the heater/AC controls are above the radio? Can they be moved down like it shows in the pictures on ebay, and if so, how hard is it?

Thank you,

Brian

By the way, what is the image of? Is that the amp or the stereo. If not the stereo, is there a MOST bus going into the stereo? Does anyone know?

As I can't post pics by PM, here are two pics of CDR23 rear panel and bose amp.

The orange wires are the MOST.

post-28874-1207145022_thumb.jpg

post-28874-1207144995_thumb.jpg

The first pic is the rear of stereo CDR 23. The Most is the two orange wires.

The second pic is the Bose amp (you still can notice the Most orange wires).

My brother-in-law, who came to visit this weekend, gave me an overview of the MOST-bus. He's an electrical engineer & did software implementation for the automotive industry (Delphi). His department worked on a platform similar to the MOST-bus but lost the race. Germany is the hot spot for the development & growth of MOST-bus technology. Sooner or later, all automotive manufacturer will move towards the MOST-bus, mainly due to cost(less wires), quality(zero static) & the sheer amount of data that can be transmitted digitally through a bandwidth. Vehicles nowadays come loaded with communication, GPS, ipod, video & other amenities that requires a MOST-bus without a whole lot of wiring. From what I understand, MOST-bus application is the same as Bluetooth (communication between devices) except with fiber optics.

I ask him for some advice regarding new audio components & he said it's best if you want to do any installation now, to by-pass the whole MOST-bus. Eventually, they will develop head units based on this technology but for now, you're pretty much screwed! However, He mentioned that going analog isn't that bad either. Vehicles have been wired up the old school ways for decades. In addition to that, if your upgrading to some new speaker for example, why not re-wiring your speakers with a heavier gauge to channel more power & ground. From his personal experience, he has seen many guys upgrade to very expensive amps & speakers but go cheap on the wires. Big mistake I was told, pick the highest quality wirings with more that sufficient gauges to work with & the outcome will be resounding. He said you can buy quality head unit, amp & speakers and with the basic wiring technics & proper gauge wires, blow away the high end products in a heart beat. A great place to start is Clutchfield tech support (Interactive Support Center) to learn the basics to upgrading for example, an amp. You would be surprise what you might learn there.

Well, gotta go & do a DIY on an amp.

Trieullionaire

By the way, what is the image of? Is that the amp or the stereo. If not the stereo, is there a MOST bus going into the stereo? Does anyone know?

As I can't post pics by PM, here are two pics of CDR23 rear panel and bose amp.

The orange wires are the MOST.

post-28874-1207145022_thumb.jpg

post-28874-1207144995_thumb.jpg

The first pic is the rear of stereo CDR 23. The Most is the two orange wires.

The second pic is the Bose amp (you still can notice the Most orange wires).

Edited by trieullionaire

The kit will soon be available for other Porsche models as well as other double din units (Apline, Eclipse, Kenwood, JVC, etc.). We have already manufactured the parts and will test fit them tomorrow.

Trieullionaire

with the MOST-bus ?

For those trying to find the kit on Ebay, just put in "porsche double din" for the search and you'll find us right away.

Updates:

-2004-08 Cayman, 911, Boxster, Cayenne: universal double din kits on the way (at a fraction of the cost the guy from Japan is selling it for!). Stay tune everyone...

Trieullionaire

Edited by trieullionaire

Currently, we only have kits for 996 & 986 and Pioneer systems are the only brand that is supported by our kit. but this will soon change. We have all the parts we need except for the housing & housing brackets for the new kit. We had to make some revisions to the one we did a couple weeks back but it coming together nicely. This universal kit will work for just about any double din system. In addition, we will SOON have kits for newer models of Porsche. Please be patient as we're working hard to bring you only the very best.

Trieullionaire

I bought a couple of these kits from these guys off ebays buy it now feature. My avic d3 came last night, so while watching tv i did the wire harness. Today when I had a chance with the sun getting ready to set, I pulled my 2001 boxster into the back yard opened up the old tool box and started following the DIY instructions. A little over an hour later I was putting the battery cable back on and starting up the car. It works great. Everything you get in the kit works perfectly and the fit is perfect. I have never attempted a radio install on anything before.

I would highly recommend this unit. I bought the cable for the ipod and put that in while I was installing everything. I found a refurb D3 unit on ebay for 487 a little over 500 shipped.

(the faceplate finish doesnt bother me or stick out at all)

Best of luck with selling your kits

dave

cbbepop,

I took all the parts & sanded it down with 440 grit sandpaper, then washed/ dried it & wiped with a tacky clothe to remove any dust or small debris. I then had my brother primed & painted it. There's a thin layer of primer & metallic paint and 4-5 coats of clear gloss enamel for maximum strength & durability. My brother baked all the parts for 2 sunny days straight to have everything dry to the core. Very labor intensive- for all the parts we did, you're looking at a good 4-5 days (dissemble, prep, paint, cure, reassemble). But with all hard work, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor afterwards (can't say I speak for my brother, lol)!

440 sandpaper

tacky clothe

Primer spray can

Rustoleum Plastic spray can-Metallic

Enamel Polyurethane Clear Coat spray can- Glossy Finish

$30-$40 bucks

Looks great! :D I'm gonna have a go at mine then instead of pay $150 minimum or $500+ for a new one...only problem I forsee already is removing the center console

cbbepop,

I took all the parts & sanded it down with 440 grit sandpaper, then washed/ dried it & wiped with a tacky clothe to remove any dust or small debris. I then had my brother primed & painted it. There's a thin layer of primer & metallic paint and 4-5 coats of clear gloss enamel for maximum strength & durability. My brother baked all the parts for 2 sunny days straight to have everything dry to the core. Very labor intensive- for all the parts we did, you're looking at a good 4-5 days (dissemble, prep, paint, cure, reassemble). But with all hard work, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor afterwards (can't say I speak for my brother, lol)!

440 sandpaper

tacky clothe

Primer spray can

Rustoleum Plastic spray can-Metallic

Enamel Polyurethane Clear Coat spray can- Glossy Finish

$30-$40 bucks

Looks great! :D I'm gonna have a go at mine then instead of pay $150 minimum or $500+ for a new one...only problem I forsee already is removing the center console

Its actually pretty fun when you have finished the work at the end of the day. A job well done is a reward in itself, just ask my brother. Center console not too bad at all, just have to take your time and figure out the best way to take it out with out using a lot of force.

The carbon fiber faceplates will be available tomorrow on Ebay @ 10pm E.S.T for those who have emailed or PM me. We would have had it on last week but we needed to make some last minute changes. We initially used a computerized CNC router but the outcome wasn't good enough for carbon fiber material. So, we switched to a high powered water jet cutter that was capable of giving us the finish product we were going after. The results proved to be a huge success, wait till you see it! I also wanted to take the time to thank those who have bought a kit directly from my brother or off of Ebay! Well, I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend! C-ya, it's pardee time!

Trieullionaire

Edited by trieullionaire

Hi There,

I recently purchased one of your kits for my 2000 996 CAB, just waiting for it to show up in my mailbox.

The only part I'm not sure of is how you put the climate control unit in the opening just below the AVIC, and above the empty cubby hole. I know you can buy a trim piece for the lower section. But I like you would prefer it where you placed the climate control unit.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

-Jay

Edited by Jayman996

Hi Jay,

I recently bought the same kit. In the directions they will explain how to use the existing trim kit to fit the opening your suggesting. I placed my AC in the bottom DIN and purchased that trim piece from Sunset Porsche for less than $10.00 including shipping.

Good Luck! Getting ready to complete my installation this coming week.