Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'04 CS. Need to install XM FM direct Modulator

Hi folks,

I need to install an XM FM direct modulator to give me a direct wire connection from my external XM receiver to avoid the interference when the wireless XM transmitter is used to the radio on an unused FM station.

the modulator has "y" type of connection where you plug the existing antenna plug into the modulator. Can someone tell me where the antenna attaches(I assume he antenna is molded into the windshield, but have also seen references to it being integrated into the rear roof spoiler)? I slid out the CDR23 and see the antenna cable running into the back of the dash.

also, is the antenna connector the usual, male "needle" plug, or do I need an adaptor? the modulator as shipped only connects to a male type of connector. I saw references on this site to an EU-30 antenna adapter from installer.com when installing some modulators

finally, is there an easy route to run the wire from my XM radio, under the dash, and into the antenna connection?

Thanks!

I just did this the other day. You will need to get an adapter for the antenna cable for the stereo. Basically the adapter will allow you to splice the 2 cables from the FM transmitter into the antenna line. In order to do this you will need to remove the stereo from the console. I know there are some instructions available on this forum that tell how to remove the stereo. The other thing you will need to do is figure out where you want to put the antenna for the XM, and where you want to route the cable to the FM transmitter. I placed my transmitter in the passenger's seat footwell, underneath the plastic upper panel of the footwell.

I think I am going to hardwire my XM and get rid of the cigarette lighter power adapter. When I do that, I will post some pictures of the entire installation so you can see where everything goes.

You need a torx driver and a trim removal tool to do the job properly, and it shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

Hi folks,

I need to install an XM FM direct modulator to give me a direct wire connection from my external XM receiver to avoid the interference when the wireless XM transmitter is used to the radio on an unused FM station.

the modulator has "y" type of connection where you plug the existing antenna plug into the modulator. Can someone tell me where the antenna attaches(I assume he antenna is molded into the windshield, but have also seen references to it being integrated into the rear roof spoiler)? I slid out the CDR23 and see the antenna cable running into the back of the dash.

also, is the antenna connector the usual, male "needle" plug, or do I need an adaptor? the modulator as shipped only connects to a male type of connector. I saw references on this site to an EU-30 antenna adapter from installer.com when installing some modulators

finally, is there an easy route to run the wire from my XM radio, under the dash, and into the antenna connection?

Thanks!

I just did this the other day. You will need to get an adapter for the antenna cable for the stereo. Basically the adapter will allow you to splice the 2 cables from the FM transmitter into the antenna line. In order to do this you will need to remove the stereo from the console. I know there are some instructions available on this forum that tell how to remove the stereo. The other thing you will need to do is figure out where you want to put the antenna for the XM, and where you want to route the cable to the FM transmitter. I placed my transmitter in the passenger's seat footwell, underneath the plastic upper panel of the footwell.

I think I am going to hardwire my XM and get rid of the cigarette lighter power adapter. When I do that, I will post some pictures of the entire installation so you can see where everything goes.

You need a torx driver and a trim removal tool to do the job properly, and it shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

Hi folks,

Thanks!

hey, thanks very much!

I did a "test run" on this. pulled the CDR23 out with no problem. checked out the connector. found on another thread that I needed an EU-30 antenna adaptor set for doing the splitting you are describing.

actually I already mounted the XM antenna to try the wireless FM modulator, which is when I realized the serious problem with interference, and started investigating the modulator.

I have never seen a vehicle that is set up pefectly for running antenna cable as the Cayenne.

a nice channel along the windshield and down the passenger B piller. all around the dash and down the front, where I can see no antenna wiring at all. it was amazingly simple to hide the cable.

I received the modulator today and will be getting the antenna adaptors sometime this week. i am very interested in the direct wiring for power, so please le me know when you have this done. I don't think I want to take this on, as getting anywhere close to the electrical system, even the fuse box, on this vehicle scares the daylights out of me..........all my electrics are working perfectly, so I want to know exactly what I'm doing before attempting the direct wire!

thanks again for your post....