Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

over rev GT3

Juanfer_GT3

I am a bit concerned about my GT3. While doing some high spirited driving I might have over reved the engine, but I am not sure. Yes I know this is a GT3 and it is meant to be driven for real. Am I correct in assuming that if I did not feel the engine speed limmiter kicking in, I did not actually took the engine to the red? If the limmiter had been called to do its duty, I should have experienced loss of power ..... correct? I have had a lousy weekend just thinking about it

Worried GT3 owner :(

• Moderators

Generally, there are two kinds of over-revs. The first is when you just leave it in a gear under acceleration. The limiter will work in that case to limit revs well before any kind of engine damage occurs. (assuming you have factory stock engine maps and not after market ECU code). The second kind of over-rev occurs when you downshift into a lower gear that is too low for the road speed. When you let out the clutch, the car's inertia then drives the engine speed up to the danger zone. The limiter can't help you in the second case. If your's was the first kind, you should be fine. You can also use or get a read out of the ECU/DME and read out the number and kind of over-revs. Have a look at: http://www.durametric.com/

^ +1

As clord points out, even bouncing off the rev limiter does nothing to the engine. Of course, you should always try to shift before that, but if you hit it, it did its job. You know when you hit the rev limiter because the car stutters. If you hit it, you know it.

The second kind of over-rev--it used to be called the type-2 with the 996, but now with the 997 there are a number of types over 2,3,4..., with each one being progressively worse--is the one to stay away from. But, even that being said, these motors are strong and conventional wisdom says that you really need to make a big mistake before you cause major damage.

In summary: don't worry.

Michael