Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Checks Engine Light

'99 2.5L w/ 54k miles...

Check engine light came on yesterday. Today idle started elevating to 1000rpm from the usual 800rpm. Occasionally dropped to 825 or so then immediately went back up to 1000.

I'll put it on a OBD this weekend, but any guesses?

I didn't even notice, it was you, Sorry Hi..

Maybe during the tank change you hit some vacum lines, you really need to dig in there to get to the back hoses; if I read the article right.

I was wondering how you were doing, did you ask Ken or Mike at Scott's.

You can use carb cleaner to ferret out the leak, spray it around sparingly and it will raise your idle or make it make it drop, when it hits a leak, I have seen both.

Be careful though it has ether in it. Poof....

If you need more help give me a buzz....

Scott

Started looking for the cause of my idle fluctuation and CE light. Found that I had not replaced the oil filler cap when I topped off.. :censored: Replaced the cap and the idle came in line later that day. CE is still on so continued looking for the cause.

Reviewed my service records and realized that the spark plugs hadn't been changed at 30k. Replaced them this morning (at 54k) with the 2-prong Bosch plugs. What a difference! Dramatic improvement on steadiness of idle, and performance while decelerating (and accelerating). Not too difficult a job, thanks to informative posts on the Forum...

One question on the plug change... just to the left and above of cylinder #4's (more rear, right) coil is some sort of sensor that screws (or snaps) into the head? Mine is very wet with oil; what is it?

Thanks