Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Noise from the a/c ventilation flap motor in passengers side

hi Christa from greece i own a 1999 2.5 boxster last month when i stop my climate and when i open again i listen to a noisy opening of the "flap" in passengers side of the car the motor when the flap is open or close make the mechanism make a "tac tac" noise why this is happening?

thank you very much christa

hi Christa from greece i own a 1999 2.5 boxster last month when i stop my climate and when i open again i listen to a noisy opening of the "flap" in passengers side of the car the motor when the flap is open or close make the mechanism make a "tac tac" noise why this is happening?

thank you very much christa

Hello Christa,

Is the sound in the far right by the vent or more down low by the feet of the passenger compartment?

Does the tic-tic stop after a minute or continue forever? Can you make the sound go away by directing the air flow in a different configuration?

My thoughts include:

1. If it's from the far vent it may very well be the air temp sensor, do a search on the board for lots of information on this. There is a sensor in there that measures the cabin temperature and helps set the automatic climate control (ACC). The fan that helps draw the air in can either get something stuck near it causing a sound or the fan motor itself is "off" a bit and making some noise. Often a squirt or two of a silicon lubricant can solve the issue but some may argue it could cover the sensor too. I've done it for years in other cars to solve a noise suction fan but often I take the whole part out to direct the lubricant and clean the sensor with a q-tip.

2. If it's more tic-tic that is noticeably heard only at certain times when the temp and air flow in configured in a certain manor then you may have an obstruction in the flap that opens close a particular vent. Often when something obstructs these flaps the gear may "jump" to compensate for the plastic parts NOT to break. Or it may be a symptom of a damaged flap mechanism or an arm out of place. Obstruction could be caused by insulation foam from further upstream.

Have you had issues with foam coming out of your vents in the past in small pieces?

i examine under the passengers side console and i found that the motor wich open and close the flap the mechanical parts after the motor drive the parts wich move the flap make the noise for a few seconds when the flap open or close. i looks like the flap opens and after the motor try to run for 5 seconds more and the flap is already opened and the motor forced more time to open.

i put some lubrricant and the noise of the more trial to open stoped but is noisy this opening and closing of the flap. it can be listened inside the cabin.

Edited by Christa