Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DE Mods/Suggestions

I plan to do some DE events at Putnam Park in Indiana , and I am wondering what I need to do to get my vehicle ready. I know I need to flush brake fluid, and pass a technical inspection, need a Snell helmet etc.

My main question is, do I need different brake pads or tires for these events? I do not plan to have a whole lot of track time, but I do want to be safe. What else is wise to do in preparation?

2006 Boxster S

Conti Tires

Painters tape to protect the front end.

A good tire pressure gauge.

Advice on the best tire pressures to run.

Your tires and brake pads should be fine for this first DE. Make necessary changes as you advance in the process.

Have fun.

Great way to learn about the car.

• 2 weeks later...
I plan to do some DE events at Putnam Park in Indiana , and I am wondering what I need to do to get my vehicle ready. I know I need to flush brake fluid, and pass a technical inspection, need a Snell helmet etc.

My main question is, do I need different brake pads or tires for these events? I do not plan to have a whole lot of track time, but I do want to be safe. What else is wise to do in preparation?

2006 Boxster S

Conti Tires

SPIRO,

Sounds like this will be your first DE event. Are you going to be there this weekend (April 18 & 19)? If so, let me know. I am going to be there and we could talk more about DE in general. Putnam Park was my first DE track. It is very nice! LOTS of open space and run-off. CIR (Central Indiana Region) runs an excellent event!

The only thing I did before my first event (besides going over the tech inspection list and making sure my car would pass tech) was change the oil (it was about time anyway), change the brake fluid (again it was time), and buy a helmet . That was it! I didn't even change the Pilot Sport ALL SEASON tires the previous owner had on the car when I purchased it. Some people talk about changing brake pads, but I wouldn't worry about that until you begin to do more events consistently. (My stock pads lasted for 4 years including 2 DE events @ Putnam Park). I would check your pads and make sure you have at least 50%-75% left on them. But I would not yet worry about going to track specific pads.

My reason for this is because since this is your first event, you (most-likely) will not be taking your car anywhere near its limit. The stock pads and tires will be fine for this first session. If you become hooked and plan to do more events then you will want to look to better brake pads and tires.

That is just my 2 cents. Others may have their own opinions and I would listen to them as well, then make a decision based upon your comfort level. DE events are meant to be fun and if you are worried about pads or tires you will not be having as much fun and then what's the point?

The main thing is relax and have fun!!!

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for your advice. I will not be at this weekend's event, I have to work. But hopefully in July.

You mentioned using all-seasons. This is something I am interested in, particularly because of our climate. I don't have the storage space for a set of winter tires, besides, we don't get much snow, but I would loive to drive my Boxster more on cold days. How are your all-seasons for overall traction? What kind are they?

You mentioned using all-seasons. This is something I am interested in, particularly because of our climate. I don't have the storage space for a set of winter tires, besides, we don't get much snow, but I would loive to drive my Boxster more on cold days. How are your all-seasons for overall traction? What kind are they?

The car came with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. What I have found with the A/S tires is that they are good on the track, but not as good as summer tires, and good in the cold/snow, but not as good as winter tires. They are a good all around tire, which is what they were intended to be, but not a great tire for any specific purpose.