Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is this for sale on eBay

Looks identical to my Durametric tool. I'd pass on buying it, since Durametric tools have a maximum of 3 different vehicles ever to read (unless you buy the more expensive PRO edition). Means even a working tool would still be useless to you if it has been used on 3 different cars so far.

I just phoned the seller, and he told me there is no limit to the number of cars. I'll let you know in a few days if it's true, or if I've been ripped off.

Any news yet?

any idea how this work. From the site it said some thing CAN? VAG? What is that and what does Porsche require

thanks

PST2 is the previous generation Porsche Certified diagnostic device, now replaced by the PIWIS tester mentioned in the auction. The PIWIS tester is expensive (last I saw it was a $20,000 lease, and only to certified Porsche repair shops/dealers), and is a self-contained computer system. This looks identical to my Durametric tool (www.durametric.com) which does some useful things, but nowhere near as complete as a PIWIS. I'll be real suprised if this isn't just a total ripoff covered by a blatant lie about the uses.

CAN Bus (Controller Area Network)

VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group)

As far as what does Porsche require... I'm not sure what you're asking in regards to.

It arrived today. It is a counterfeit of the Durametric. Not realising that at first (never having seen the genuine article), I installed the software and it connected to the car OK and read out the DME information. I saw that it was version 3.0.15 of the software, so downloaded and updated to the latest version. Now it doesn't want to connect, and if I look in Options I see that the software says it is a counterfeit cable.

Live and learn.

• Moderators

Look out with that sort of crap Richard, you never know what it can provoke with the control boxes. If it is a Durametric product you can talk with this guys, but in this case....!!

Don't give up just yet; I see he's sold several on ebay recently, all with positive feedback. That's odd, if none of them work. I'd contact the seller in reference to the "software" needed to use with the cable. Using the most current durametric software with a counterfeit cable is probably not going to work in any case.

The seller has added a note to the listing since I told him that there was a problem. The folks at Durametric are aware of these Chinese made counterfeits, and say that the ones they have seen can simply stop working after a few days. Maybe that's what happened to mine, or maybe the latest software blocked it. Either way, I feel a bit dumb and naive thinking it might be genuine - in my defence the picture was of a genuine cable.

The good news is that the seller has offered a refund - let's hope he's true to his word.