Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LED/Ambient Light Behavior

Hey guys -

Just bought a 2001 996 Carrera with 12K miles. I had the cupholders over top of the radio in the center stack, so I decided to toss both out in favor of a double-din navigation/mp3 player (Kenwood DNX5120 - a nice unit).

After installation I noticed the LED/Ambeint lights (the small yellow LEDs in the rear view mirror, door pulls, and the trunk lid/engine lid/memory seats) stay on, way after everything else (regular map lights and digital dashboard lights) shut off. I've given them a half-hour and they still stay on. The only way I can get them to go off is to arm/lock the car with the remote control.

I assume this is not how these lights are supposed to behave, but am just double checking prior to taking the car back into the installer.

Any help for owners is appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

post-29217-1207588904_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It is normal that the led's stay on, they go's out as you say after locking the car. You have always to lock the car to give time the control boxes to get in sleep mode, if not the battery is empty in a couple of hours.

It is normal that the led's stay on, they go's out as you say after locking the car. You have always to lock the car to give time the control boxes to get in sleep mode, if not the battery is empty in a couple of hours.

Not to sound like a complete jerk/idiot, but... seriously? The car has to be locked every time you let it sit or the battery will die. That seems bassakwards. What about those of us who don't lock the car while it's sitting in the garage over night?

Man, I was really hoping it was only a miswire due to the stereo install. I already had them wire the cigarette lighter to shut off with the car as I like to keep my radar detector plugged in and that was draining the battery.

Well, at least now I know. Thanks

My 99' C2 will turn off without locking. I have not timed it though. I have left it unlocked twice in garage overnight without any issues.

It also has an aftermarket Alpine radio in it.

Thanks for the extra info. Just to confirm: the LED/Ambient lights do stay on... they just time out at some point (must be at least an hour).

Actually its almost 2 hours, which is why they are LEDs..they only use like 20mA of power, and is how they are supposed to work...If you sit in your car for an hour without opening the doors without the key in the ignition (which I did when I got it, for various reasons) you'll find out that the power seats will stop moving, etc, etc..as the car goes to sleep to reduce load. NEVER EVER leave the key in the ignition when parked in your garage..it WILL prevent the car from going into standby and your battery will be dead in a matter of days. Locking the car with the alarm shuts down all the other systems to preserve the battery, but if you leave it that way for 5 days, the remote will not work (again..the battery), and you have to unlock the door manually and start the car within 10 seconds to turn the alarm and driveaway protection off.

Actually its almost 2 hours, which is why they are LEDs..they only use like 20mA of power, and is how they are supposed to work...If you sit in your car for an hour without opening the doors without the key in the ignition (which I did when I got it, for various reasons) you'll find out that the power seats will stop moving, etc, etc..as the car goes to sleep to reduce load. NEVER EVER leave the key in the ignition when parked in your garage..it WILL prevent the car from going into standby and your battery will be dead in a matter of days. Locking the car with the alarm shuts down all the other systems to preserve the battery, but if you leave it that way for 5 days, the remote will not work (again..the battery), and you have to unlock the door manually and start the car within 10 seconds to turn the alarm and driveaway protection off.

Wow! Complicated. OK... hey, thank you guys, seriously. I had a hard time believing it wasn't the installers doing. I appreciate the follow up and detail. This was not described in the manual (at least under the ambient lighting section). I'll have to look a bit closer... at the alarm section.

Again, thanks, I appreciate the help.

Peter