Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi I'm new here and I have a few questions about autocross. My dad took his 997 C4 autocrossing the other day with no idea what the best setup for the car was. He was very disappointed because he got beat by me, his 16 year old son :P. His questions are;

1. PSM on or off?

2. What tire pressure do you recommend for the 19in rims?

3. Best way to launch?

It is a 6mt that has almost no options. Thanks

Start with 42 front and rear. Borrow a tire pyrometer from someone, or buy one if you plan on autocrossing with any regularity, and bring some chaulk. Mark the front side walls with chaulk before you run. After each run look at the chaulk to see if the side walls are rolling over and check temps inside middle and rear on the fronts. Temps should show a gradient slightly cooler from inside to out. Adjust the rear increasing pressure in 1-2 psi incriments, higher to get the car to rotate better, lower pressure if the car is oversteering (or tail happy). Once you get it feeling good, write down your pressures in a notebook along with temp, surface temp, surface type. Start the next autocross with the settings you finished with the week before and adjust the same way you did the first time and again record you settings and conditions. After awhile you will have enough data to get you very close on setup from the first run. Don't forget to check tire pressures before each run.

If you get serious about autocross, a set of R comps and good alignment will be a must.

Edited by silver arrow

Start with 42 front and rear. Borrow a tire pyrometer from someone, or buy one if you plan on autocrossing with any regularity, and bring some chaulk. Mark the front side walls with chaulk before you run. After each run look at the chaulk to see if the side walls are rolling over and check temps inside middle and rear on the fronts. Temps should show a gradient slightly cooler from inside to out. Adjust the rear increasing pressure in 1-2 psi incriments, higher to get the car to rotate better, lower pressure if the car is oversteering (or tail happy). Once you get it feeling good, write down your pressures in a notebook along with temp, surface temp, surface type. Start the next autocross with the settings you finished with the week before and adjust the same way you did the first time and again record you settings and conditions. After awhile you will have enough data to get you very close on setup from the first run. Don't forget to check tire pressures before each run.

If you get serious about autocross, a set of R comps and good alignment will be a must.

I did my first autocross today! I have 2006 C2S. I found 40-42 PSI worked good today, but obviously can change. I had my best laps with the PSM on, but the sport button off, so basically normal throttle mapping with the sport suspension ssetting. The PSM on and engaged for tighter setup made lots of difference in stability. The throttle response in sport was way too jumpy and made my *** end spin around too much for comfort. I had a great time and got better every run. Only one cone!

Autocross is not an easy thing to get right away. Tell your dad not to be too hard on himself!

Set up is not so important when first starting out. Learning how to read the course, understanding how the car handles in those situations AND having fun are the priorities.

To answer your questions IMO:

1. PSM off

2. Usually 3-5 psi over factory pressures is a good place to start with street tires. One of the main reasons for increasing tire pressures is to prevent the tire from rolling on to the sidwall.

3. Launch briskly, with as little wheel spin, no need to dump the clutch

silver arrows' advise regarding chalking the tires and keeping a notebook is spot on.

BTW, good job woopn' the old man :lol:

You mean for Track Racing?

1 - PASM on Sport Mode

2 - PSM ON for beginning and OFF later but depend of the track type really

3 - Tyres: Recommend OEM High (F2.3 bar, R3.0 bar) and deflate it every 30mn because the tyres pressure can go up to 3.8 bar easy. then you car start to slide! :D