Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark plugs question

I just replaced the spark plugs and now I am getting a missfire on cylinder 2:

post-21160-1209668346_thumb.jpg

First of all, is cyl 2 the middle one on the passenger side? The middle cyl on the driver's side is OK, but I did notice that the wire for the one on the passenger side does not 'click' when I reconnect it to the coil. The wire cover (the boot) is a little lose and I can't seem to be able to get rid of this missfire error. Any ideas?

Also, if I wanted to replace the wires that connect to the coils - how do I do that? I followed the path but they all go into a tubing that goes in the back of the car and I can't find the other end.

Can the wires be purchased from dealer / AutoZone? What is the part number?

Thanks,

azzar0.

EDIT: I was able to snap the connection back in and the missfire error didn't come back (so far). I let the car running for about 10 minutes. I would still like to know how to change the wires though, if anyone knows :)

Edited by azzar0

• Moderators

Each coil has an electrical connector. At my local dealer they do not disconnect the connector from the coil. They remove the 2 allen screws and pull the coil away from from the engine, and the coil hangs from the connector, while the spark plug is removed. Why? Time is money and it takes less time to replace the spark plugs this way.

As a DIYer your time is to save money.

While the coil is still bolted to the engine I pull the rubber boot up, up enough so that I can see the connector and the wires to the connector. I disconnect the connector, remove the coil, and inspect the coil and the extension piece.

I replace the 3 plugs on one side of the engine. I then start the car to make sure there are no misfires because the connectors to the 3 coils are not seated. When that is good I do the other side, and start the car again. If you then have a misfire then you need to check only the connectors to 3 coils, rather than 6.

Each coil has an electrical connector. At my local dealer they do not disconnect the connector from the coil. They remove the 2 allen screws and pull the coil away from from the engine, and the coil hangs from the connector, while the spark plug is removed. Why? Time is money and it takes less time to replace the spark plugs this way.

As a DIYer your time is to save money.

While the coil is still bolted to the engine I pull the rubber boot up, up enough so that I can see the connector and the wires to the connector. I disconnect the connector, remove the coil, and inspect the coil and the extension piece.

I replace the 3 plugs on one side of the engine. I then start the car to make sure there are no misfires because the connectors to the 3 coils are not seated. When that is good I do the other side, and start the car again. If you then have a misfire then you need to check only the connectors to 3 coils, rather than 6.

I was thinking about leaving the wires plugged in, but I wanted to clean the coils while I had them out. It is good to do one side at a time, I agree it would be less of a pain to troubleshoot any problems that way...

I would still like to know if the wires can / should be changed and how?

I may have to replace the coils as 2 of them have small cracks on them... My local dealer charges $88 a piece though! I will check with Sunset and see how much they charge. Can I just change the cracked ones or do I have to change them all? I think I would change them all just to be consistent...

Thanks,

azzar0.

• Moderators

I do not know what to tell you. If the car runs on all 6 cylinders then I guess you leave it alone. I have no clue how you would change the electrical wires to the coils or why you would need to do so, as they are part of the engine wiring harness.

Cracked coils are not an uncommon complaint. More common complaint on the UK message boards for some reason - guess it is the damp weather. If you need to replace then replace just what you need.

The coils are made by Beru. You can find them from parts places other than Porsche.

Pics from Tim on boxa.net

post-4-1209700949_thumb.jpg

post-4-1209700994_thumb.jpg

You're right. The car runs fine. I guess there is no need to replace the wires since the coils are separate entities.

Wow, those coils in the picture are really bad! Mine just have a small crack, very little. I'll see how much they cost and take it from there.

Thanks ToolPants!

azzar0

• Moderators

Went on the Autozone site and they have coils for $57.99 under the Duralast house brand. Never seen it so I don't know if it is a repackaged Beru coil or an aftermarket.

Why they sometimes crack is interesting. I thought it was due to the heat from the engine. Peter Smith thinks it is due from the heat generated from the coil itself.

Why they sometimes crack is interesting. I thought it was due to the heat from the engine. Peter Smith thinks it is due from the heat generated from the coil itself.

Either way, it is pretty poor design on Porsche's part. This is a pretty simple and basic component that shouldn't be breaking down. Period! That felt better. Excuse me while I crawl under to examine my coil packs to see why I'm getting cylinder #1 misfire.

Derek