Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM1 Problem

hi,

2000 boxster s with no history at all. i have recently acquired and repaired the vehicle to roadworthy condition.

great in many many respects, but no tunes!

i know the PCM1 can't be sorted with a code supplied on this thread, but i have contacted my (UK) dealer who was very helpful after the usual identity checks and i've been given a "navigation code".

i have no documentation at all so i'm slightly unsure about coding the pcm1.

when i go to enter the code the only options availabe are "emergency call" and "pcm". "navigation" is greyed out.

if i try to enter the code i have been given multiple times (clearly not going to work) it eventually locks out for an hour.

also, i should have said - i have no navigation CDs - still deciding what to do about that.

i have emailed the dealer again so am awaiting a response, but can the valuable members of this forum supply any guidance in the interim?

thanks

paul

Edited by Loren
Split this topic from the Lost Radio Code topic

Paul,

I had a 996 with PCM 1 (8 bit) which given your year was the same as my car yours will be 8 bit too. I seem to remember needing two codes. One for the Nav and one for the PCM. You don't say if you have two codes?

RB

Paul,

I had a 996 with PCM 1 (8 bit) which given your year was the same as my car yours will be 8 bit too. I seem to remember needing two codes. One for the Nav and one for the PCM. You don't say if you have two codes?

RB

RB

many thanks. the dealer did only supply one code (over the phone, which was convenient at the time).

my attempts to enter the code lead me to share your opinion, that there are two codes - looks like the PCM code is needed first in my case (maybe because there are no CDs?)!

i've mailed the dealer to see if there's anything more they can do remotely.

thanks again

paul

Hope this helps - it's the only page I have from the PCM1 manual:

PCM1_security_codes.pdf

richard, many thanks. that makes the problem very clear now.

i've passed this to the dealer, but worryingly, he's now talking about me getting it recoded somewhere!?!?!

i've to take the car in and he's going to read the DME on the offchance that the original dealer entered the code in there when it was sold.

getting close to having to consider something aftermarket :angry:

people on ebay are offering to decode the PCM for £150.

ebay pcm1 decoding

thanks

paul

That's extortionate! If the OPC wants to charge for the service, and you are anywhere near me (Maidenhead, Berks), I'd be happy to plug in my PST2 and see if the codes are stored (PM me). Failing that, I'm sure Becker could give you the code if you give them the serial number - I seem to recall they charge about £20.

That's extortionate! If the OPC wants to charge for the service, and you are anywhere near me (Maidenhead, Berks), I'd be happy to plug in my PST2 and see if the codes are stored (PM me). Failing that, I'm sure Becker could give you the code if you give them the serial number - I seem to recall they charge about £20.

many thanks to both replies.....

i live in kilmarnock, scotland.

i took it to the dealer.

much nicer experience than i expected! the guy said "give me your keys, relax, have a coffee and i'll let you know how we get on". that disappointed me cause is wanted to accompany him and have a nosey at what he was doing and see the workshops.

10 minutes later he returns and says "you don't need to sing to yourself any more mr green - all sorted - the code was stored in the DME".

no charge! fantastic!!! :) i gave the guy £20 for a beer, i was so impressed, and i was probably prepared to pay up to £100 befor binning the factory unit and going aftermarket!

his parting shot was "i notice your tiptronic shift is a bit stiff. it's a union at the gearbox. common problem on the older tips - need a new linkage. i'll email out an estimate. oh, and don't worry about the labour rates, we've got a sliding scale that make it cheaper to get work done on the older models!"

all very nice indeed!

so, tomorrow's road trip over to dunoon on the ferry and cruising round the argyle peninsula before returning via the isle of bute will be with some tunes!

now, all i need are the CDs for the navigation

many thanks again

paul

thanks everyone.

all fine now on the PCM for the moment.

it's a bit clunky but seems to do what's asked. at least it's standard and operational - don't need to think about aftermarket for the moment anyway.

anyone got a pdf manual? now it's up and running i think it'll be self explanatory, but a manual would be nice.

even got the phone working with a PAYG SIM card :)

AM radio reception terrible - i like talk sport - saw something about earth grounding and/or antenna amp, so that's the next challenge.

had a kind offer of some older nav CDs - really hope that works out then i can see if it's worth pursuing the up to date opel ones mentioned elsewhere.

lovely as these cars are, they can consume time like there's no tomorrow, eh?

good roadtrip though!

thanks again

paul