Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone tried Wearever brake pads

I was shopping around for brake pads today. The Advance Auto Parts, Parts America, by my house carried Wearever pads as the house brand and they actually have a set available for 996. It's $57.48 for the front Wearever Silver MKD776 and $44.44 for the rear Wearever Silver MKD738.

The description says that they're semi-mettalic OE replacement pads, and they have a limited lifetime warranty, which means if you keep the receipt they're good for one free swap when you wear them out.

Has anyone tried these? The fact that both front and rear is cheaper than most front sets I've seen is giving me pause, but I've always used house brand pads on my other vehicles with no problems.

Anyone have other suggestions?

I was shopping around for brake pads today. The Advance Auto Parts, Parts America, by my house carried Wearever pads as the house brand and they actually have a set available for 996. It's $57.48 for the front Wearever Silver MKD776 and $44.44 for the rear Wearever Silver MKD738.

The description says that they're semi-mettalic OE replacement pads, and they have a limited lifetime warranty, which means if you keep the receipt they're good for one free swap when you wear them out.

Has anyone tried these? The fact that both front and rear is cheaper than most front sets I've seen is giving me pause, but I've always used house brand pads on my other vehicles with no problems.

Anyone have other suggestions?

They arrived today. Looks like their front brake pads are just taller versions of the rear brake pads. They definitely don't fit. Got to take them back tomorrow. Guess I'll go the ebay mintex route.

(I should also note that although both sets show the brand as Wearever Silver, the rears came in a large Wearever Gold box instead. )

post-30731-1214877981_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeTexas

Brake pads are NOT the place to look for "cheap" nor lifetime warranties. I always buy brake pads that are sure to eat rotor metal for lunch...!!

On the other hand I guess a "lifetime" brake pad warranty isn't so bad if you happen to be 90 years old and fully expect to "go" soon anyway.

Edited by wwest

Brake pads are NOT the place to look for "cheap" nor lifetime warranties. I always buy brake pads that are sure to eat rotor metal for lunch...!!

On the other hand I guess a "lifetime" brake pad warranty isn't so bad if you happen to be 90 years old and fully expect to "go" soon anyway.

My 996 is my daily driver, and it never sees the track, so I don't need super ceramic high-performance pads. Anything up to OE standards is good.